Could electricity power a rocket? Feedback appreciated!

In summary: The best use of fuel is to extract all of its energy and use that energy to hurl it out the back -- the spent fuel becomes the reaction mass.
joey13
Hi! I'm a high school physics student. I really, really love physics, especially rocket science, and I had an idea about a rocket design, but I don't know how feasible it is. I was hoping you guys could give me some feedback.

So I was learning about electricity, and as far as I know, electric explosions can produce lots of energy. So I wondered, would it be possible to harness this energy to, say, produce thrust for a rocket, or would it be too destructive? What do you guys think?

Thank you for your feedback!

P.S. I wasn't sure if this is the right place to post this, apologies if it isn't!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello and :welcome:!

What do you mean by an electric explosion?

Likes vanhees71 and sophiecentaur
joey13 said:
electric explosions can produce lots of energy.
The energy available from a Chemical source is actually much more convenient and potentially greater - if you want an "explosion". That's not to say a projectile can't be launched at great speed with an electromagnetic system.

Read this link about railgun.

I don't know about explosions. But search for ion rocket propulsion. NASA is already using it on some space probes.

Ion propulsion uses electricity to accelerate particles.

Likes vanhees71 and sophiecentaur
The problem with electric propulsion, in cars and rockets, is that we don't have really good light weight devices to store large amounts of electricity (batteries et. al.). This is in contrast to chemical energy storage (rocket fuel, etc.). So, in the situation where you want to store a bunch of energy to use later, chemistry just works better, for now. Other methods are also better for storage, depending on your requirements, like pumping water uphill, flywheeels, etc.

However there are promising electric propulsion methods that can help transform energy using electricity in spacecraft . For example, you may collect energy from the sun with solar cells to power low thrust electric engines. Or, you may have an onboard radioactive energy source that can do the same.

So, you need to split up the problem into pieces and find the best solution for each. Energy generation, energy storage (if required), and propulsion.

Likes vanhees71, sophiecentaur and fresh_42
How much do you know and understand about momentum conservation? Any idea you may have about a rocket must address how the momentum of the rocket that is zero relative to the Earth will be increased. Your idea is to harness an "electric explosion to produce lots of energy". Energy is not the point. The point is to produce lots of momentum change per unit time in a given direction a.k.a. thrust, that will accelerate the rocket.

So you need to explain what you mean by electrical explosion and then have some idea how the released energy might be channeled into thrust. You have to flesh out at least that much; we cannot do it for you.

Likes vanhees71
kuruman said:
Energy is not the point. The point is to produce lots of momentum change
I half agree and Momentum is often forgotten about. Energy is actually very important too. You need to convert sufficient energy in the fuel into KE of the craft but the way the momentum is transferred affects the efficiency of the operation. Rockets are very inefficient during the first few seconds of takeoff; the faster they are going, the better use is made of the fuel - as long as the ejecta is leaving fast enough.

Likes vanhees71
sophiecentaur said:
I half agree and Momentum is often forgotten about. Energy is actually very important too. You need to convert sufficient energy in the fuel into KE of the craft but the way the momentum is transferred affects the efficiency of the operation. Rockets are very inefficient during the first few seconds of takeoff; the faster they are going, the better use is made of the fuel - as long as the ejecta is leaving fast enough.
Sure. Energy is important too. If one could come up with a more efficient way to convert energy into momentum, one has a better design. I am not a rocket scientist, but I am sure that rockets are characterized by some figure of merit regarding this. My concern was that OP was not aware of the importance of momentum. Let's wait and hear from OP.

Likes vanhees71, berkeman and sophiecentaur
kuruman said:
I am sure that rockets are characterized by some figure of merit regarding this.
Normally, the best use of fuel is to extract all of its energy and use that energy to hurl it out the back -- the spent fuel becomes the reaction mass.

If that approach is used, the relevant figure of merit is exhaust velocity. Sometimes it is expressed as "specific impulse": the length of time for which the rocket can hover in Earth's gravity while using an amount of fuel equal to its own mass.

• Informative
Likes kuruman, sophiecentaur and etotheipi
The specific impulse may be zero for a perfectly useable rocket if it is not bound be the Earth’s surface gravity. The term is very useful but not for every rocket engine.

1. What is an electric rocket?

An electric rocket is a type of propulsion system that uses electricity to accelerate charged particles and create thrust. This is different from traditional chemical rockets, which use chemical reactions to produce thrust.

2. How does an electric rocket work?

An electric rocket works by using electricity to ionize a propellant, such as xenon gas, and accelerate the resulting charged particles out of the rocket nozzle at high speeds. This creates thrust and propels the rocket forward.

3. What are the advantages of using an electric rocket?

Electric rockets have several advantages over traditional chemical rockets. They are more efficient, meaning they can achieve higher speeds with less fuel. They also have a longer lifespan, as they can continuously operate for longer periods of time. Additionally, electric rockets produce less pollution and are quieter than chemical rockets.

4. Are there any drawbacks to using an electric rocket?

While electric rockets have many advantages, they also have some drawbacks. They typically have lower thrust, so they are not suitable for launching heavy payloads into space. They also require a large power source, which can add weight and complexity to the rocket.

5. How is the electric rocket idea being developed and tested?

The electric rocket idea is currently being developed and tested by various space agencies and private companies. This includes conducting ground tests and launching small-scale electric rockets into space. Researchers are also working on improving the efficiency and power of electric rockets to make them more viable for future space missions.