Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electrical Circuit Drawing Software

1. Jul 12, 2012 #1
    Hello,
    I am writing my MSc dissertation, and I want to draw some 3-phase circuits with different cabling configurations (6-wire, 4-wire etc). I need an easy software that can draw the schematics nicely, like the ones found in books. I do not need interactive software (like NI circuit design), just a drawing software. I need it to have pre-installed star-delta connections and of course the main components.

I would really appreciate your input !

Regards,

Nik.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 12, 2012 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Can you just use Microsoft Visio? I think it has libraries of things like your electrical circuit blocks...

4. Jul 12, 2012 #3
    Hello berkeman,
    I did try Visio, and I may be getting something wrong, but how can you make star connection with inductors and or loads on the star ?
    Am I asking for too much? I don't know... I just assume that there should be an easier way.

Regards,

Nik.

Edit: Something like that say : http://www.linengineering.com/LinE/_images/Diagram_BLDC17.gif [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  5. Jul 13, 2012 #4
    Although hard to find, I tend to use the precursor to Multi sim; Electronics Workbench (used it in High school. Its hard to find (legitimately)).

There is an online circuit designer 'circuit-lab', although I'm not sure about star-delta configurations on it

Hope this info helps

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2012
  6. Jul 13, 2012 #5
    I've made drawings very similar to that in Visio. Sometimes you need to make your own "components", and that is not necessarily obvious to do. I also have had to avoid making "connections" sometimes because visio's drawing rules put wires where I don't want them. Instead of treating it like a connection/schematic tool, I just treat it like a drawing tool and I get much better results. There could be a better way that I don't know though.

You can do a lot in Visio:
    http://www.visguy.com/archive-index/visio-art/

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  7. Jul 13, 2012 #6
    Hello cybhunter,

Thanks for your reply, I did check the circuit lab (https://www.circuitlab.com/editor/), although I am looking at drawing more power electronics rather than electronics, and this editor seems to be mainly for "normal" electronics (I say mainly as I saw transformer symbols). :p

I am currently downloading the Electronics Workbench that you suggested, but I have the feeling that it is more of a simulation rather than a drawing software.

Thanks a lot again.

Regards,

Nik.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2012
  8. Jul 13, 2012 #7
    Hello Dragon Petter,

Thanks for your reply !
    I will give it a try creating my own. I bet it is going to be a hassle, but if there is no easier way, I will go with it...

Thanks again.

Regards,

Nik.

9. Jul 13, 2012 #8
    Yes it was a hassle for me as well. Here are some of the drawings I made in visio . . they look very close to the example you're going for.

Attached Files:

10. Jul 13, 2012 #9
    Visio is an unbelievable pain in the *** sometimes. I've used it in the past and still do occasionally because it looks good in the end, but I don't have the heart to recommend it to anyone. I have nightmares about the connector tool in Visio. Is it some kind of evil joke?

11. Jul 14, 2012 #10
    You can try downloading one of the free simulators like LTSpice from Linear Technology. Easy to draw schematics.

12. Jul 14, 2012 #11
    A.o.a
    its my first post....!
    Can any one help me in suggesting the best software in "sumilation of circuits.."

13. Jul 14, 2012 #12
    I dont have any software yet ....please inform me how to download free and from which websites >>>

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook