What Is the Relationship Between Voltage and Length in an Electrical Circuit?

In summary: The voltage distribution is not the same though, as we have seen, it has a linear gradient. So it should be ##v=\frac{j}{nq}=const##. For the trapezoid, there is a voltage drop and a gradient for both the current and the material constants. This will result in a different velocity.
GreenPrint

Homework Statement

So I was wondering if someone could help with part C. I have gotten the answers for A and B, at least I hope they are correct.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So I'll just do the rectangle first and then try and solve the trapezoid. By the way do you think it's a triangle or a trapezoid? To me it loos like a trapazoid with a value at point l=0 of (0,.1) and not (0,0)?

Anyways for the rectangle...

So I'm given

rho, electron concentration - n, the thickness of the graphite layer - h (found in part a), and the velocity - v (I found it), and the voltage across the rectangle is 2 volts.

I'm confused as to how to find the voltage across the length. I thought that the voltage across the length would be a constant 2 volts but I guess I'm wrong.

Thanks for any help anyone can provide.

Attachments

• Capture (6).PNG
    Capture (6).PNG
    25.8 KB · Views: 364
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm confused as to how to find the voltage across the length. I thought that the voltage across the length would be a constant 2 volts but I guess I'm wrong.
Voltage is 0 at the left side, and does not make jumps.
Current is constant, and resistance per length is constant. What can you tell about the voltage drop per length based on that?

I'm not exactly sure. If you rearrange the formula

R = rho(l/A)

And in this case indeed

R/l = rho/A

I can tell that from resistance per length is constant

from ohms law

V = I R

divide both sides by L

V/L = (I R)/L

V/L = I (rho/A)

so then Voltage as a function of length...

V(L) = (L*I*rho)/A

Now for I... I just use the fact that the resistance is given, 100k ohms and use 2 volts for the voltage

V = I*R

I = V/R

in the equation to find voltage as a function of length?

Well, you can use a shortcut: Once you know that voltage is a linear function, you can directly get the result from the boundary conditions: 0V at the left side and 2V at the right side.

http://img6.imageshack.us/img6/3449/capture6k.png

Ok I guess I'm doing something wrong as my answer to C for the voltage makes no sense. Thanks for any help. I have shown all steps.

For part (a)
R = 100 kΩ
l = 10 cm
ρ = [itex]10^{-5}[/itex] Ωm

R = [itex]\frac{ρl}{A}[/itex]
[itex]\frac{1}{R} = \frac{A}{ρl}[/itex]
A = [itex]\frac{ρl}{R} = \frac{10^{-5} Ωm(10 cm)kΩ(100 cm)}{(100 kΩ)(1000 Ω) m} = 10^{-7} cm^{2}[/itex]

A = wh, [itex]h = \frac{A}{w} = \frac{10^{-7}cm^{2}}{cm} = 10^{-7} cm[/itex]

For part (b) trapezoid only

R = [itex]\frac{ρl}{A}[/itex], [itex]\frac{1-.1}{10}l + .1 = .09 l + .1 = w[/itex], A = wh, A(l) = (.09l + .1)[itex]10^{-7} cm^{2}[/itex]
R(l) = [itex]\frac{ρl}{A(l)}, R = \frac{10^{-5} Ωm (100 cm)}{10^{-7}cm^{2}m} ∫^{10}_{0}\frac{l dl}{.09l + .1}dl ≈ 471.889 Ω[/itex]

I = nqvA, I = [itex]\frac{V}{R}, \frac{V}{R} = nqvA,
v = \frac{V}{RnqA} = \frac{2 V}{471.889 Ω\frac{10^{19}}{cm^{3}}(1.6*10^{-19})(.09l+.1)(10^{-7}cm^{2})} = \frac{2648866.285}{.09l+.1} \frac{cm}{s}[/itex]

V = IR, I = [itex]\frac{V}{R} = \frac{2V}{471.889 Ω} ≈ 4.238*10^{-3} A[/itex]

R = [itex]\frac{lρ}{A}, \frac{R}{l} = \frac{ρ}{A}, V = IR, \frac{V}{l} = \frac{IR}{l} = \frac{Iρ}{A}[/itex]
[itex]V(l) = \frac{lIρ}{A} = \frac{l4.238*10^{-3} A(10^{-5} Ωm)(100 cm)}{(.09l+.1)10^{-7}cm^{2}m} = \frac{l42.38}{.09l + .1}[/itex]

Last edited by a moderator:
The last two lines are problematic:
##\frac{dV}{dl}=\frac{I\rho}{A}##
It is the derivative here.
##V(l)=\int_0^l \frac{dV}{dl} dl' = \int_0^l \frac{I\rho}{A(l')} dl'##
Where A depends on l at the trapezoid.

Wait so is the information you provide in your post correct?

V(l) = integral[0,l] [(I rho)/(A(l'))]dl'

Ok so for the cross sectional area of the trapezoid...
dA = h * w(l) * dl

So

A(l) = 10^(-7) integral[0,l] [.09*l+.1]dl

Wait so is the information you provide in your post correct?
Do you have a reason to expect wrong formulas?

That (A in post 8) is not the same A you used above.
You don't need any integral to express A.

Oh thanks for the help by the way. I really appreciate it =)

Oh I guess I thought you were asking if it was right or something.

So the formula I had for A originally was correct?

So

[itex]\frac{V}{l} = \frac{Iρ}{A(l)}[/itex]

[itex]\frac{dV}{dl} = \frac{Iρ}{A}[/itex]

V(l) = [itex]∫^{l}_{0} \frac{dV}{dl} dl = ∫^{l}_{0} dV = V[/itex]

I calculated earlier that

I = 4.238*[itex]10^{-3} A[/itex]

and

A(l) = (.09*l + .1)[itex]10^{-7}cm^{2}[/itex]

So

V(l) = [itex]∫^{l}_{0} = \frac{4.238*10^{-3} A (10^{-5} Ωm (100 cm)}{(.09l + .1)10^{-7}cm^{2}m} dl[/itex]

I don't is right because when I plug in 10 I get about 423.8

Probably a numerical issue somewhere. Your resistance for the trapezoid is wrong - it has to be more than 100 kΩ (if you remove conductible material, the resistance increases), probably ~300-600 kΩ (471kΩ?)

Ok thanks, I think I found my mistake and got the correct answer. I actually didn't get 471k for the resistance of the trapezoid? Is that what I'm supposed to get? I did find that my answer for the resistance for the trapezoid was indeed wrong but that's not what I got when I found the correct answer to that. Well I don't know if it's correct but when I plugged it into find the current and used that in my voltage equation and then plugged in 10 cm I got 2!

But my concern is that for the velocity of the square

I got something like

K/l

Where K is the constant that I found. If you plug in zero than the velocity is undefined. Is this a problem?

For the trapazoid I got something with a very well defined velocity at l = 0

I got something of the form

K/A(l)

When you plug in zero for L you don't get an undefined answer but a very well defined one. Is this an issue?

471kΩ was just a guess, based on your previous value of 471Ω. I did not calculate it.

The velocity in the square should be the same everywhere, you can calculate it with the known cross-section area, current and material constants, and they are all independent of l.

Thanks for all the help. I think I got the right answer (because of your help) =)

1. What is an electrical circuit?

An electrical circuit is a path or loop through which an electrical current can flow. It consists of a power source, such as a battery or generator, a load or device that uses the electrical energy, and connecting wires or conductors.

2. What are the different types of electrical circuits?

There are three main types of electrical circuits: series, parallel, and series-parallel. In a series circuit, the components are connected one after another, while in a parallel circuit, the components are connected side by side. A series-parallel circuit combines elements of both series and parallel circuits.

3. How do you calculate the voltage, current, and resistance in a circuit?

Ohm's Law is used to calculate the voltage, current, and resistance in a circuit. The equation is V = I x R, where V is voltage in volts, I is current in amps, and R is resistance in ohms. This equation can be rearranged to solve for any of the three variables.

4. What is the difference between AC and DC circuits?

AC (alternating current) circuits have a constantly changing flow of electricity, while DC (direct current) circuits have a steady flow of electricity in one direction. AC is typically used in household and commercial electrical systems, while DC is commonly used in electronic devices such as computers and cell phones.

5. How can you troubleshoot a faulty electrical circuit?

To troubleshoot a faulty electrical circuit, you can follow a few steps. First, check if the power source is working properly. Then, inspect the connections and make sure they are secure. Next, use a multimeter to check for continuity and measure voltage and resistance at different points in the circuit. Finally, replace any faulty components or wires to fix the issue.