Electrical circuit with resistors problem

In summary, this conversation is discussing the Electric current that goes through the ampermeter. The current that goes through the 2R resistor is \frac{4\epsilon}{13R}.
zeev55
1. what is the Electric current that goes through the ampermeter (see the picture)
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/545/66683625.png"

[PLAIN]http://img545.imageshack.us/img545/4379/66683625.png

2. the current that goes through the 2R resistor is [itex]\frac{4\epsilon}{13R}.
[/itex] (I dident find it myself , it was the answer of a similar problem in which the subject was the resistor not the ampermeter.)

the answer given by the textbook: I(A)=[itex]\frac{6\epsilon}{13R}[/itex]

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You'll have to use the loop rule and junction rule. At each junction of wire, the current in is equal to the current out. Also, if you add up the changes in potential within a closed loop in the circuit, they should add up to zero. For example, if you start at point A, you move through resistors or batteries throughout the loop and return back to point A, the sum of those changes in potential should be zero,.

It looks like the answer attributed to the book is not correct for this circuit. So if you're despairing of reproducing that answer, you can relax a bit. There is still hope!

Zeev55, what have you tried?

nothing worth writing in here.. I don't mean to sound rude but it would really help me if someone write the full answer to the problem.
thank you

zeev55 said:
nothing worth writing in here.. I don't mean to sound rude but it would really help me if someone write the full answer to the problem.
thank you

Alack and alas, that is not what we do here. We can help you to solve the problem, but not solve the problem for you.

Why not have a go at either loop equations or some other approach to the problem, and we can then see how to guide you.

It might (or might not!) be of interest to know that the problem can be solved with a bit of study of how the currents divide and add. Keep in mind that the Ammeter doesn't influence the circuit in any way: it just tells you the current flowing through it.

1. What is an electrical circuit with resistors?

An electrical circuit with resistors is a closed path that allows electric current to flow through it, while also containing resistors. Resistors are components that impede the flow of electric current and are used to control the amount of current in a circuit.

2. How do you calculate the total resistance in a circuit with multiple resistors?

To calculate the total resistance in a circuit with multiple resistors, you can use the formula R = R1 + R2 + R3 + ..., where R represents the total resistance and R1, R2, R3, etc. represent the individual resistances of each resistor in the circuit. Alternatively, you can also use the parallel or series resistance equations, depending on how the resistors are connected in the circuit.

3. What is the purpose of using resistors in an electrical circuit?

Resistors are used in electrical circuits for various reasons, such as limiting current flow, dividing voltage, and controlling the amount of power dissipated in a circuit. They also help to protect other components in the circuit from damage by limiting the current that passes through them.

4. How does the value of a resistor affect the flow of electric current in a circuit?

The value of a resistor directly affects the flow of electric current in a circuit. The higher the resistance, the lower the current flow, and vice versa. This is because resistors impede the flow of electric current, and the amount of resistance determines the amount of current that can pass through them.

5. What are some common problems that can occur in an electrical circuit with resistors?

Some common problems that can occur in an electrical circuit with resistors include overheating, voltage drops, and incorrect values of resistance. These issues can lead to circuit malfunctions and potential damage to components, so it is important to carefully design and test circuits with resistors.