Electrical engineering with some CS electives?

In summary: EE covers the following modules:- Electronic Devices and Circuits- Analog and Digital Circuits- Microelectronics- Power Electronics- Signal and Image Processing- Wireless Technologies
Themaster123
I looked up at ee curricilum and find out it suits better for me.I want to specialize in electronics.Is it possible for me to take discrete math,data structures,algorithms,neural networks,machine learning,artificial intelligence etc. as electives along with ee courses?Is it a viable path?

Physics news on Phys.org
Are the electives you mention the best to select? What about about semiconductor theory, transmission lines, amplifiers, control theory, computing, communications? or is that already cover by your ee course?

CWatters said:
Are the electives you mention the best to select? What about about semiconductor theory, transmission lines, amplifiers, control theory, computing, communications? or is that already cover by your ee course?
I couldn't find them in the curricilum.Can you enligthen me what these subjects about?

There can be some overlap between the topics. I might be out of date and some things might be under different headings or subjects on their own at some colleges...

Semiconductor theory - how diodes and transistors are made and work, doping, transistor models
Transmission lines - high frequency signals, wave guides, PCB design.
Amplifiers - how amplifiers work, gain, frequency response, stability, filters, oscillators, noise.
Control theory - some overlap with amplifiers. Feedback, stability, response to impulse.
Computing - computer architecture, digital signal processing, networks, simulators.
Communications - communication theory and protocols, noise/errors, aerial theory.

I

Likes Themaster123
CWatters said:
There can be some overlap between the topics. I might be out of date and some things might be under different headings or subjects on their own at some colleges...

Semiconductor theory - how diodes and transistors are made and work, doping, transistor models
Transmission lines - high frequency signals, wave guides, PCB design.
Amplifiers - how amplifiers work, gain, frequency response, stability, filters, oscillators, noise.
Control theory - some overlap with amplifiers. Feedback, stability, response to impulse.
Computing - computer architecture, digital signal processing, networks, simulators.
Communications - communication theory and protocols, noise/errors, aerial theory.

I
Wow,that is so kind of you!thanks!

Likes berkeman
I can't speak for other schools, but mine was quite flexible on electives. I finished with an electrical engineering degree, but I took several advanced chemistry courses such as organic chemistry, inorganic chemistry (molecular orbital theory, crystal and ligand field theory), and chemical physics quantum mechanics... not required for EE at all. I know chemistry isn't CS, but I'm sharing this because I was able to take a lot of different electives and I feel like CS isn't far-fetched.

Likes Themaster123
+1.

I would think about which branch of electronics you are most interested in or what sort of job you want in the future and pick the courses most relevant to that. The knowledge needed to design electric car power trains is different to something like mobile phone design.

Likes Themaster123
Likes Themaster123

1. What is the difference between electrical engineering and computer science?

Electrical engineering involves the study and application of electricity, electronics, and electromagnetism to design and develop electrical systems and devices. Computer science, on the other hand, focuses on the theory and practice of computation, algorithms, and programming to develop software and computer systems.

2. Can I pursue a career in both electrical engineering and computer science with this degree?

Yes, this degree program allows you to specialize in both electrical engineering and computer science. You will have a strong foundation in electrical engineering principles and techniques, and you can choose electives in computer science to gain knowledge and skills in that field as well.

3. What are some potential job opportunities for graduates with a degree in electrical engineering with some CS electives?

Graduates with this degree can pursue careers in a variety of industries such as telecommunications, electronics, aerospace, power systems, and computer hardware or software development. Some specific job titles may include electrical engineer, software engineer, systems engineer, or network engineer.

4. Is this degree program suitable for someone who is interested in both hardware and software?

Yes, this degree program is ideal for individuals who have an interest in both hardware and software. You will have the opportunity to learn about both electrical engineering and computer science, allowing you to understand the interaction between hardware and software in various systems and devices.

5. Are there any specific skills or prerequisites needed for this degree program?

This degree program typically requires a strong foundation in mathematics, physics, and computer programming. Some recommended skills include critical thinking, problem-solving, and analytical skills, as well as an interest in technology and its applications. Prerequisites may vary depending on the institution offering the program.