How Do Electrical Equations Help Calculate Charge and Electron Flow in Circuits?

• Thread starter runicle
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Electrical
In summary, the conversation discusses various variables and equations related to electricity, including the constant Fe and the equations for current (I) and coulomb's law. The conversation also includes a question about calculating charge passing through an electric lamp using these variables.
runicle
Can you please explain me in lamens terms what are these variables names and what they give:
-
1c=6.24 * 10^18
e=1.60 * 10^-19
Q=Ne
Fe=KQ1Q2/d^2
I=Q/T
1A = 1C/1s
-
And How would i do this question with the stuff i have written above this line?
-
A current of 0.82 A flows through an electric lamp for 10 min. In that time how much charge passes a given spot in the filament expressed in
(a)Coulombs
(b)Electrons
-
For (a) i think I need to use 1A = 1C/1s
So C=A*S
-C=0.82 A (600s)
-C=492
But in the back of my book its -492 explain what i did wrong
-
For (b) I think i don't know what to use I'm

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Last edited:
sorry

Hi there,

Sure, I'd be happy to explain these variables and equations to you in simpler terms.

1c = 6.24 * 10^18 represents the charge of an electron, which is a tiny particle that makes up atoms. It is a very small amount of charge, so we use scientific notation (6.24 * 10^18 means 6.24 multiplied by 10 raised to the power of 18).

e = 1.60 * 10^-19 represents the elementary charge, which is the smallest possible amount of charge that an object can have. It is also a very small amount, so we use scientific notation.

Q = Ne means that the total charge (Q) is equal to the number of electrons (N) multiplied by the charge of each electron (e). This is a way to calculate the total charge of a group of electrons.

Fe = KQ1Q2/d^2 is an equation that represents the force of attraction or repulsion between two charged objects. K is a constant that depends on the medium between the objects, Q1 and Q2 are the charges of the objects, and d is the distance between them.

I = Q/T is an equation that relates current (I) to charge (Q) and time (T). It means that the current is equal to the total charge passing through a point divided by the time it takes to pass through.

1A = 1C/1s is simply a conversion factor between amperes (A) and coulombs (C). It means that 1 ampere is equal to 1 coulomb per second.

Now, let's solve the question using the equations you have listed.

(a) To find the amount of charge passing through the filament in coulombs, we can use the equation I = Q/T. We know that the current (I) is 0.82 A and the time (T) is 10 minutes = 600 seconds. So, we can rearrange the equation to solve for Q:

I = Q/T

Q = I * T

Q = 0.82 A * 600 s

Q = 492 C

So, the amount of charge passing through the filament in coulombs is 492 C.

(b) To find the amount of charge passing through the filament in electrons, we can use the equation Q = Ne. We know that the charge of an electron (

What are some common electrical equations?

Some common electrical equations include Ohm's Law, which states that voltage is equal to current multiplied by resistance (V=IR), and Kirchhoff's Laws, which are used to analyze circuits and determine currents and voltages within them.

How are electrical equations used in everyday life?

Electrical equations are used in many aspects of everyday life, from calculating the power usage of household appliances to designing and building complex electronic devices. Electrical engineers and technicians use these equations to ensure the safe and efficient operation of electrical systems.

What are the units of measurement in electrical equations?

The units of measurement used in electrical equations depend on the specific equation being used. Some common units include volts (V) for voltage, amps (A) for current, and ohms (Ω) for resistance. Other units such as watts (W) for power and farads (F) for capacitance may also be used.

What is the difference between DC and AC electrical equations?

The main difference between DC (direct current) and AC (alternating current) electrical equations is that DC equations only involve constant values, while AC equations involve time-varying values. In DC circuits, the voltage and current are always in the same direction, while in AC circuits, the voltage and current alternate directions periodically.

Are there any common mistakes to avoid when using electrical equations?

One common mistake to avoid when using electrical equations is forgetting to convert units. It is crucial to ensure that all values in the equation are in the same units before solving. Additionally, it is important to be aware of the limitations of certain equations and to use the appropriate equation for the specific circuit or problem at hand.