How to Calculate Uncertainty for Electrical Fields?

In summary, the conversation discussed finding the electric field at a distance of 2.09 ± 0.02 m from a charge of 1.82 ± 0.03 µC and determining the uncertainty. The suggested method for finding the error involved calculating the mean value based on the nominal values and considering the tolerance to determine the largest and smallest possible values for the electric field.
jmatthews1991

Homework Statement

Find the electrical field a distance of 2.09 ± 0.02 m from a charge of 1.82 ± 0.03 µC.
What is the uncertainty?

2. The attempt at a solution
I was able to answer part one correctly. Very easy. However, I am not sure of how to find the uncertainty

Physics news on Phys.org
What are the possible range of values that you can calculate for the electric field given the tolerance of your parameters?

Do you know how to combine errors? If not, try this:

http://home.clara.net/rod.beavon/err_comb.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
Born2bwire said:
What are the possible range of values that you can calculate for the electric field given the tolerance of your parameters?

i don't understand what you mean

I don't know about ideasrule suggestion but if I wanted to find the error, then I would say that the mean value would be calculated off of the nominal values given. Then, given the tolerance on these nominal values, what is the largest and smallest possible electric field? This would be the limits of the deviation from your calculated nominal value.

FAQ: How to Calculate Uncertainty for Electrical Fields?

1. What is an electrical field?

An electrical field is an area surrounding an electrically charged object that exerts a force on other charged objects within its vicinity.

2. How is an electrical field created?

An electrical field is created by the presence of an electric charge. Positive charges create outward-pointing fields, while negative charges create inward-pointing fields.

3. What is the unit of measurement for electrical fields?

The unit of measurement for electrical fields is volts per meter (V/m).

4. How does distance affect electrical fields?

The strength of an electrical field decreases as distance from the charged object increases. This is described by Coulomb's Law, which states that the force between two charges is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

5. What are some practical applications of electrical fields?

Electrical fields have numerous practical applications, such as in the operation of electronic devices, power generation and distribution, and medical imaging techniques such as electrocardiograms and electroencephalograms. They are also used in particle accelerators and ion propulsion systems for spacecraft.

Back