Understanding How a 3-Phase Generator Works

In summary, the three phase generator works by converting mechanical energy into electrical energy through the rotation of the rotor. This rotation is caused by a source of energy, such as water or steam, that turns a turbine connected to the same shaft as the rotor. The total voltage of a three phase supply is sqrt(3) times the voltage of a single phase supply.
daredevil
Hi,

I was having some confusion understanding how the three phase generator works.

As far as I know AC is connected to the stator and DC is connected to the rotor and the changing magnetic field in the stator causes the rotor to rotate.

I was wondering what causes the rotor to rotate in one direction and how much AC current have to be supplied to the stator. I mean as the direction of AC is changing, the direction the rotor is rotating should also change, right

And, what is the total voltage of the three phase supply if a single phase is 240V.

Engineering news on Phys.org
daredevil said:
Hi,

I was having some confusion understanding how the three phase generator works.

As far as I know AC is connected to the stator and DC is connected to the rotor and the changing magnetic field in the stator causes the rotor to rotate.

I was wondering what causes the rotor to rotate in one direction and how much AC current have to be supplied to the stator. I mean as the direction of AC is changing, the direction the rotor is rotating should also change, right

And, what is the total voltage of the three phase supply if a single phase is 240V.

Please see synchronous machine principles from:

http://www.google.com.tr/url?sa=t&r...9q7BiZFkA&sig2=LCIQGsbcJsqDKQm2o2qUWA&cad=rja

Yeah, you could do some reading as recommended.

Other than that, I should say that in a generator, you do NOT connect electricity to the stator to make the rotor rotate...that's a motor!

A generator generates electricity and makes it come out of the stator terminals...a generator is kind of a transducer that converts mechanical energy into electrical energy. In a generator, the rotor rotates and as it is excited and has it own magnetic field, these two things ( mag field and motion) produce a voltage on the stator.

In a Y-connected generator, the phase to phase voltage is sqrt(3) that of a single phase.

Thanks..

So what causes the rotor to rotate in the generator if no current is connected to the stator

Well, generators are typically installed at a power plant where there is a source of energy that can be used to rotate the rotor of the generator.

For example, where there is a big river with a lot of water, people build dams and a hydroelectric plant, where the water comes down and moves the blades of a turbine, which in turn moves the rotor of the generator.

Or, in a steam plant...a train comes around with a lot of coal, they burn the coal inside a boiler with a lot of water pipes...as the water heats up, they keep it pressurized and then they shot it into the blades of a steam turbine's blades, again, the turbine turns and as it is connected to the same shaft of the generator rotor, well, it turns it too.

etc., etc., etc.. geothermal plants, nuclear plants, some solar plants...they all first need to use some source of energy to move a turbine, then they connect a generator to the same shaft.

So, a turbine is a device that converts some kind of source energy into a rotational mechanical energy, a generator is a device that converts mechanical rotational energy into electricity and a motor is a device that converts electrical energy into mechanical rotational energy.

What is a 3-phase generator?

A 3-phase generator is an electrical device that produces three alternating currents that are offset by 120 degrees. This type of generator is commonly used in industrial and commercial settings to provide a steady and efficient power supply.

How does a 3-phase generator work?

A 3-phase generator works by using a rotating magnetic field to induce a current in the stator windings. The magnetic field is created by the rotation of the rotor, which is connected to a prime mover, such as an engine or turbine. The stator windings are arranged in a delta or wye configuration, which allows for the three phases of alternating current to be produced.

What are the advantages of a 3-phase generator?

There are several advantages to using a 3-phase generator. One of the main advantages is that it produces a more constant and balanced power output compared to a single-phase generator. This makes it more suitable for powering larger and more complex electrical systems. Additionally, 3-phase generators are more efficient and have a higher power output compared to single-phase generators.

How is a 3-phase generator different from a single-phase generator?

The main difference between a 3-phase generator and a single-phase generator is the number of phases of alternating current produced. A single-phase generator only produces one phase, while a 3-phase generator produces three phases that are offset by 120 degrees. This allows for a more balanced and efficient power output in 3-phase generators.

What are some common applications of a 3-phase generator?

3-phase generators are commonly used in industrial and commercial applications, such as powering large machinery, data centers, and hospitals. They are also used in residential settings for backup power systems and in renewable energy systems, such as wind turbines and solar farms.