Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electrical schematic troubleshooting program?

1. Oct 8, 2012 #1
    I was wondering if there was a simple program out there that would help me design and toubleshoot schematics I draw? For example, I have a schematic for a power supply that takes a 6.5k "core and coil" transformer and ups the voltage to 15k to supply a Van de Graaff generator. Now, the problem is I want to test a few things about it, including the 1 megohm resistor on the ground, before I actually build this thing.

So, is there a program out there that will allow me to test stuff like this out before I build it and toubleshoot it for real? I'm sure there is I have just missed it, or not been searching google properly. Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 8, 2012 #2
    Have you looked at using pspice?

4. Oct 8, 2012 #3
    I had not. It seems there is a student edition available for free for use by anyone, so I will try it out!

5. Oct 8, 2012 #4
  6. Oct 8, 2012 #5
    Yea I wasn't looking for electronics circuit simulators like a dolt. Thanks!

7. Oct 8, 2012 #6
    LTSpice is a good free option.

8. Oct 8, 2012 #7
    I think LTSpice is what I am looking for. I've downloaded it with no issues so far and hopefully it will help me figure out if this design is efficient and actually works.

Am I allowed to post schematics on here to get some advice on?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook