1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electricity and Magnetism question

1. Mar 5, 2006 #1
    A solenoid 2.9 cm in diameter and 15 cm in length has 300 turns and carries a current of 5 A. Calculate the magnetic flux through the circular cross-sectional area of the solenoid.

-->> I tried using the equation B = u(0)NI/L to calculate magnetic field, and then putting this in the formula flux = BNA, where N is number of turns, and A is area (pi*r squared). This didn't work, though.

I'd appreciate some help!!! Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 6, 2006 #2
    The field is indeed given by
    [tex]B=\frac{\mu_{0}NI}{L}[/tex]

and the total flux through the solenoid
    [tex]\phi=NAB[/tex] is also right.

Maybe what they asked for is the flux through a single turn which would be your answer divided by N

Also keep in mind that
    [tex]B=\frac{\mu_{0}NI}{L}[/tex]
    is valid only for a long solenoid. (When its length is large compared to its radius)

I feel your solenoid is long enough. I don;t see why you're not arriving at the answer.

4. Mar 6, 2006 #3
    yep, it was wanting it through one turn. thanks.

5. Mar 7, 2006 #4

mukundpa

Homework Helper

I think NBA is the total flux linked with the solenoid, not the flux through the cross-section. It is BA only.

MP

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?