Why is the potential changing in my electrochemical cell setup?

In summary, the cell potential was changing every 2-3 seconds. The cell became polarized after being used for a short time and the drift went away after leaving the cell alone for an hour.
neuro11
I took some phosphate buffer saline(7.4) into a beaker, included a Au electrode and reference electrode (Ag/AgCl) and tried to measure the potential using multimeter. The temperature and pressure is assumable same. The multimeter shows the potential some milivolts but the potential is decreasing like every 2-3 seconds. I thought if temparature and pressure is not changed much it should be fixed... can someone explain the reason of potential change...

Chemistry news on Phys.org
In my experience (Ag/AgCl electrodes) the system needs time, up to a few hours, to equilibrate. Try leaving everything in place (with the power off) for an hour and see if the drift goes away.

@Andy, thanks for reply. I will try that...

Andy Resnick said:
In my experience (Ag/AgCl electrodes) the system needs time, up to a few hours, to equilibrate. Try leaving everything in place (with the power off) for an hour and see if the drift goes away.

still the drifting exists...can it be the reason that
The concentration of the PBS (does not contain NaCl) solution is 1M whereas the solution inside the salt bridge is 3 M NaCl.

If not, i guess may be the ref electrode is damaged some how...

neuro11 said:
still the drifting exists...can it be the reason that

I suspect that the problem with your setup is that your meter is continually drawing current from the cell and causing the cell to become polarized. It's only a small cell, you can't draw current without affecting the potential. Maybe if you only momentarily connect the meter to take a quick reading, then leave it disconnected from the cell for, say, 30 mins, before taking another reading might be an acceptable protocol (but I really don't know).

A multimeter with much higher impedance may be better, too.

NascentOxygen said:
I suspect that the problem with your setup is that your meter is continually drawing current from the cell and causing the cell to become polarized. It's only a small cell, you can't draw current without affecting the potential. Maybe if you only momentarily connect the meter to take a quick reading, then leave it disconnected from the cell for, say, 30 mins, before taking another reading might be an acceptable protocol (but I really don't know).

A multimeter with much higher impedance may be better, too.
thanks for the advice...
today i took new solution, immerged gold and ref. electrode, left them for hour for equilibrium and then took a 5 min reading. again left for another 20 min or so and took reading...in this way i received better reading...the drift is now 2-3 mv in those 5 mins reading. still acceptable for me.
But what surprising to me is, after that 5 min reading i disconnect the meter. so when i start taking reading again after 20 mins, the starting potential is lower then before. So my question what exactly was using my cell. as i have disonnected the meter the cell potential should not be used up right?

1. What is electrochemical potential?

Electrochemical potential refers to the energy difference between an electrically charged particle in a system and a reference point, typically measured in volts.

2. How is electrochemical potential different from electrical potential?

Electrochemical potential takes into account both the electrical potential and the concentration gradient of charged particles, whereas electrical potential only considers the electrical charge of the particles.

3. What is the significance of electrochemical potential in biological systems?

Electrochemical potential plays a crucial role in various biological processes, such as nerve signaling, muscle contraction, and cellular transport of nutrients and waste products.

4. How is electrochemical potential related to redox reactions?

In redox reactions, the change in electrochemical potential is directly related to the transfer of electrons between molecules. This change in potential drives the reaction towards equilibrium.

5. What factors affect the magnitude of electrochemical potential?

The magnitude of electrochemical potential is influenced by the concentration of charged particles, the electrical potential difference, and temperature. Additionally, the permeability of the cell membrane and the presence of specific ion channels can also impact the electrochemical potential.