Electrodynamics question - Induced EMF

In summary: It's just that I don't like to write W = Fx since x is not the distance moved by the point of application of the force.
mrmoriarty
> A very long straight wire carries a current I. A plane rectangular coil of high resistance, with sides of length $a$ and $b$, is coplanar with the wire. One of the sides of length $a$ is parallel to the wire and a distance $D$ from it; the opposite side is further from the wire. The coil is moving at a speed $v$ in its own plane and away from the wire.

>(a) Find the e.m.f. induced in the coil.

>(b) Let R be the resistance of the coil. Calculate the force needed to move the coil with speed v as described, and show that the mechanical power used to move it is equal to the rate at which heat is generated in the coil.

I have included my workings/thoughts.

I know that i first have to calculate the magnetic field of the wire:
$$B(y)=\mu_0 I/2πy $$
Then the emf,
$$\mathcal{E}=-\frac{dφ(B)}{dt}= -\frac{d}{dt} \int_D^{D+b}B\cdot ds = -\frac{d}{dt}(a\cdot \int_D^{D+b} B\cdot dy)$$

I have been given the answer of
$$\mathcal{E}=\frac{\mu_0Ivab}{2\pi D\left(D+b\right)}$$

What I am having trouble with is the intermediate step getting from the integral to the above answer.

I know that $P_{mech}=F.v$ and that $P_{heat}= v^2/R = \mathcal{E}/R$, but I do not know how to calculate the force on the coil.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello mrmoriarty and welcome to PF!

mrmoriarty said:
$$\int_D^{D+b} B\cdot dy$$
Can you show us your attempt at evaluating this integral?

I know that ##P_{mech}=F.v## ..., but I do not know how to calculate the force on the coil.

There is a basic formula for calculating the magnetic force on a current in a magnetic field.

Do you know the Blv law? It's usually better than computing the flux change within the coil. In fact, sometimes where moving media are concerned this approach fails completely.

Apologies for resurrecting the thread, but I have the exact same question set so it seemed pointless to make a new topic.

I have done the first part (calculating the emf), but do not know how to find the force.

I have tried using F = I dl x B with I = emf/R.

[itex]F = \frac{\mu_0Iva}{2\pi D}\frac{a}{R}\frac{\mu_0I}{2\pi D} + \frac{\mu_0Iva}{2\pi(D+b)}\frac{a}{R}\frac{\mu_0I}{2\pi(D+b)}[/itex]

[itex]F = (\frac{\mu_0Ia}{2\pi})^2\frac{v}{R}[\frac{1}{D^2}+\frac{1}{(D+b)^2}][/itex]

This does not lead to the correct answer. Any help would be appreciated :)

Hello, Zatman. Let's break it down.

Let ##I'## be the current induced in the loop. Find an expression for the force on the side of the loop closest to the long wire in terms of ##I## and ##I'## where ##I## is the current in the long wire. Don't bother yet to substitute for ##I'##. Just express the force in terms of ##I, I', a## and ##D##.

Hi TSny, thanks for your reply. I have:

[itex]F = \displaystyle\int^a_0 I'\frac{\mu_0I}{2\pi D}\ dl[/itex]

[itex]F = \frac{\mu_0aII'}{2\pi D}[/itex]

Great. Now do the same for the far side of the loop. Also, think about the directions of the forces. Then combine the two forces.

Okay, so the only things that will be different are
(1) the sign, since the current is in the opposite direction.
(2) D --> D+b

So the force on the far side of the loop is

[itex]F_2 = -\frac{\mu_0aII'}{2\pi (D+b)}[/itex]

The net force is then the sum of the two forces:

[itex]F_{net} = \frac{\mu_0aII'}{2\pi}(\frac{1}{D}-\frac{1}{D+b})[/itex]

[itex]F_{net} = \frac{\mu_0aII'b}{2\pi D(D+b)}[/itex]

Fantastic. Now, how would you express the mechanical power required to move the loop at speed v?

[itex]P = \frac{dW}{dt} = \frac{d(Fx)}{dt} = F\frac{dx}{dt} = Fv[/itex]

[itex]P = F_{net}v = \frac{\mu_0IvabI'}{2\pi D(D+b)}[/itex]

Now I think I can substitute the expression for I':

[itex]I' = \frac{emf}{R} = \frac{\mu_0Ivab}{2\pi RD(D+b)}[/itex]

Which gives the correct answer. I see my mistake now; I somehow managed to have two different currents in each section of the wire.

Thanks for your help! :)

Good work!

One minor point where you wrote

[itex]P = \frac{dW}{dt} = \frac{d(Fx)}{dt} = F\frac{dx}{dt} = Fv[/itex].

The middle expression is not actually correct, but the other expressions are correct.

Yes, it is only valid for a constant force? Which in this question is not actually the case, I notice.

It would be valid for a constant force, but I don't think it's a good idea to write W = d(Fx)/dt even for that case. During a small time dt, the work done is Fdx. So the rate of doing work is (Fdx)/dt = F(dx/dt) = Fv.

1. What is induced EMF in electrodynamics?

Induced EMF (electromotive force) is the creation of an electric potential difference (voltage) in a conductor when it is exposed to a changing magnetic field. This phenomenon is a fundamental concept in electrodynamics and is described by Faraday's law of induction.

2. How is induced EMF different from static EMF?

Static EMF is a constant, unchanging electric potential difference in a conductor, while induced EMF is a temporary voltage that is created by a changing magnetic field. Static EMF is typically produced by a battery or power source, while induced EMF is produced by the motion of a conductor in a magnetic field or a changing magnetic field.

3. What are some real-world applications of induced EMF?

Induced EMF has several practical applications, including generators, transformers, and electric motors. It is also used in technologies such as wireless charging and electromagnetic induction in cooking appliances.

4. How is the magnitude of induced EMF determined?

The magnitude of induced EMF is determined by the rate of change of the magnetic flux through a conductor. This is described by Faraday's law, which states that the magnitude of induced EMF is proportional to the rate of change of magnetic flux.

5. How does Lenz's law relate to induced EMF?

Lenz's law is a consequence of Faraday's law and states that the direction of the induced EMF will be such that it opposes the change in magnetic flux that caused it. This law helps to explain why a current is induced in a conductor that is moving through a magnetic field, and why the direction of the induced current reverses when the direction of motion is reversed.