Electrodynamics: Solve the differential equation

In summary, the conversation discusses a circuit with direct current and a differential equation found using Kirchoff's laws. The equation is used to find Q(t) and the conversation explores how to solve for the constants A and B using initial conditions. The final charge on the capacitor is found to be the particular solution.
Niles

Homework Statement

Hi all.

Please take a look at the attached circuit, where the current is direct (i.e. DC).

I have found the following differential equation using Kirchoff's laws:

[tex]
V=\frac{R_1+R_2}{R_2C}Q+R_1\frac{dQ}{dt}.
[/tex]

I wish to solve this equation, and thus to find Q(t).

The Attempt at a Solution

First I differentiate with respect to t to obtain:[tex]
0=\frac{R_1+R_2}{R_2C}\frac{dQ}{dt}+R_1\frac{d^2Q}{dt^2}.
[/tex]

Solving this gives me the following:[tex]
Q(t)=A+B\exp\left( {\frac{R_2+R_1}{R_2R_1C}t} \right),
[/tex]

where I have used the fact that Q(t=0)=0 to find that B=-A. But how do I find A?

Thanks in advance.Niles.

Attachments

• circuit.png
    circuit.png
    624 bytes · Views: 367
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Obtain an expression for the current, then find the charge.

Just use the fact the i = dq/dt and di/dt = d^2q/dt^2 and use separation of variables.

Niles said:
[tex]
Q(t)=A+B\exp\left( {\frac{R_2+R_1}{R_2R_1C}t} \right),
[/tex]

where I have used the fact that Q(t=0)=0 to find that B=-A. But how do I find A?

You need two initial conditions to find the two constants. One is Q(0), the other one? What is the initial current?

I am not told what I(0) is, but I guess it is zero. But how will this help me?

And if I solve for I instead of Q, then how can I find the particular solution?

Ok, I solved it. I just have to find the final charge on the capacitor, and that is the particular solution.

What is electrodynamics?

Electrodynamics is the branch of physics that deals with the study of electrically charged particles and their interactions with electric and magnetic fields.

What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between a function and its derivatives. In electrodynamics, differential equations are used to model the behavior of electric and magnetic fields.

Why is it important to solve differential equations in electrodynamics?

Solving differential equations allows us to understand and predict the behavior of electric and magnetic fields, which is crucial in many applications such as designing electrical circuits and studying electromagnetic waves.

What methods are used to solve differential equations in electrodynamics?

Some common methods used to solve differential equations in electrodynamics include separation of variables, variation of parameters, and the use of Green's functions.

What are some real-world applications of solving differential equations in electrodynamics?

Solving differential equations in electrodynamics has many practical applications, such as designing motors and generators, creating communication technologies, and studying the behavior of charged particles in particle accelerators.