1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electrolysis in ionic substances

1. Sep 29, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Predicting the products of electrolysis
    Ionic substances in solution break down into elements during electrolysis. Different elements are released depending on the particular ionic substance.

At the negative electrode, positively charged ions gain electrons. This is reduction, and you say that the ions have been reduced.

Metal ions and hydrogen ions are positively charged. Whether you get the metal or hydrogen during electrolysis depends on the position of the metal in the reactivity series:

the metal will be produced if it is less reactive than hydrogen
    hydrogen will be produced if the metal is more reactive than hydrogen

i don't understand. exactly what does metal ions have to do with hydrogen ions?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 29, 2011 #2

epenguin

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I suppose one way to think about it which should be supplemented by othera is is to say OK when you electrolyse copper sulphate solution in water you can get copper metal deposited. So if you electrolyse sodium chloride solution in water you should get sodium metal deposited. In water. What happens when you drop sodium metal in water? I hope you have seen it - not likely to forget.

4. Sep 29, 2011 #3
    heh. as a matter of fact i have not seen it?

5. Sep 29, 2011 #4
    The extraction of copper from copper ore is done by reduction with carbon. However, the copper produced is not pure enough for use as a conductor.

can somone please explain to me what the above statements mean?

6. Sep 29, 2011 #5

epenguin

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

7. Sep 30, 2011 #6
    errrr.... i don't really get the video......what are the white stuff formed at the end of the chemical reaction?

8. Sep 30, 2011 #7

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Do you know what is the reaction? Can you try to write reaction equation? If you are learning about electrolysis you should already know a little bit about chemistry, and reaction of sodium with water is one the most basic things (pun not intended (hint intended)) taught at chemistry courses.

9. Sep 30, 2011 #8
    nope, my school missed out on acids and alkalis, i learnt electrolysis based on chemical effects of an electric current. lol. but i have learnt how to form and balance chemical equations.
    is it this: 2Na + 2H2O ----> 2NaOH + H2

10. Sep 30, 2011 #9

Borek

That's right.

Now, there are two products. Which one is popping? Which can be a white solid?

11. Sep 30, 2011 #10
    um.... is sodium the white solid?

12. Sep 30, 2011 #11

epenguin

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Sodium is a soft metal - in this vid you can see them cutting it.

It is only shiny for a short time after it is cut, it is reactive and reacts with oxygen or I suppose moisture in the air to form a film.

Sodium reacts chemically with water liberating hydrogen which is what burns explosively the several videos you can see. Which is the next best thing to seeing it in the teaching lab which unfortunately you have not had. Seeing these things gives meaning and memorability to the theory which now you have to read up, we cannot write a textbook for you, find an elementary one,good luck :smile:. Chemistry does not get simpler than the chemistry of sodium so it was a good starting point.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  13. Sep 30, 2011 #12

Borek

I told you to look for PRODUCTS.

14. Sep 30, 2011 #13

uhhuh. but how do you expect someone like me who does not have any background knowledge on the chemical reaction between sodium and water to actually UNDERSTAND your questions which provide no further explanations? i was just making a guess, a harmless one. By the way, i would really appreciate it if you could be more patient with someone who seems like an idiot.

15. Oct 1, 2011 #14

Borek

I am patient, I am trying to give you clear hints.

At this moment you know everything you need - you just have to apply this knowledge to the video.

Sodium is a metal, right? How do metal looks? Do they look like a white powder?

16. Oct 1, 2011 #15
    nope but all i saw were white sparks here and there.

sorry for my previous post, i admit i'm kinda short-tempered.

17. Oct 1, 2011 #16

Borek

18. Oct 1, 2011 #17
    the white sparks are sodium hydroxide?

19. Oct 1, 2011 #18

Borek

That's the only logical conclusion.

20. Oct 1, 2011 #19
    erm.... but where does this lead us to??

21. Oct 1, 2011 #20

Borek

You asked about products of electrolysis - now imagine sodium is a product of electrolysis in water. Will such system be stable?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook