Electromagnetic Induction (Long straight wire above circulua

In summary, when a circular loop of wire is placed next to a long straight wire with an increasing current, the induced current in the loop will flow in a clockwise direction. This can be explained by Lenz's Law, which states that the induced current will create a magnetic field that opposes the change in the original current. This can be visualized using the right-hand rule, where the magnetic field lines around the straight wire are clockwise, causing the induced current in the loop to be counterclockwise.
mikemartinlfs

Homework Statement

A circular loop of wire is placed next to a long straight wire. The current I in the long straight wire is increasing. What direction is the current that's induced in the circular loop?

upload_2016-11-27_13-42-36.png

Homework Equations

upload_2016-11-27_13-44-26.png

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm aware that the answer is clockwise; however, I'm trying to conceptualize exactly how. I'm quite familiar with induction using Faraday's Law when it comes to magnetic fields. I know that the current will create a magnetic field; however, my brain must not be working today as I'm not able to combine these concepts at the moment. Can someone please break this relatively simply question down for me in a way that helps me to grasp the concept?

Thanks!

Attachments

• upload_2016-11-27_13-42-33.png
    upload_2016-11-27_13-42-33.png
    8.3 KB · Views: 624
Physics news on Phys.org
Disregard; I think I answered my own question; Lenz's Law states that the induced EMF (and thus, current) would act in such a way to counter the motion of the current in the wire. Based on the right-hand rule, the magnetic field lines around the straight wire would be clockwise, meaning the opposing magnetic field lines around the loop would be counterclockwise. With the right-hand rule, this shows that the induced EMF's direction would be clockwise around the loop (and thus, making the current counterclockwise).

(I was going to delete but I don't see an option to do so).

1. What is electromagnetic induction?

Electromagnetic induction is the process by which an electric current is produced in a conductor when it is exposed to a changing magnetic field. This phenomenon was first discovered by Michael Faraday in the 1830s.

2. How does a long straight wire above a circular loop demonstrate electromagnetic induction?

In this setup, the changing magnetic field is created by the current flowing through the long straight wire. This changing magnetic field then induces an electric current in the circular loop below, as described by Faraday's law of induction.

3. What factors affect the strength of the induced current in the circular loop?

The strength of the induced current depends on the strength of the magnetic field, the speed at which the magnetic field changes, and the number of turns in the circular loop. It also depends on the distance between the wire and the loop, as well as the material and thickness of the wire and loop.

4. Can electromagnetic induction be used for practical applications?

Yes, electromagnetic induction has many practical applications, including in generators, transformers, and electric motors. It is also used in technologies such as wireless charging and induction heating.

5. What is the relationship between electromagnetic induction and Faraday's law?

Faraday's law of induction states that the magnitude of the induced electromotive force (EMF) is equal to the rate of change of the magnetic flux through a circuit. Electromagnetic induction is the physical process that explains how this EMF is produced.