1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electromagnetic Induction (Long straight wire above circulua

1. Nov 27, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A circular loop of wire is placed next to a long straight wire. The current I in the long straight wire is increasing. What direction is the current that's induced in the circular loop?

upload_2016-11-27_13-42-36.png

2. Relevant equations
    upload_2016-11-27_13-44-26.png

3. The attempt at a solution
    I'm aware that the answer is clockwise; however, I'm trying to conceptualize exactly how. I'm quite familiar with induction using Faraday's Law when it comes to magnetic fields. I know that the current will create a magnetic field; however, my brain must not be working today as I'm not able to combine these concepts at the moment. Can someone please break this relatively simply question down for me in a way that helps me to grasp the concept?

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 27, 2016 #2
    Disregard; I think I answered my own question; Lenz's Law states that the induced EMF (and thus, current) would act in such a way to counter the motion of the current in the wire. Based on the right-hand rule, the magnetic field lines around the straight wire would be clockwise, meaning the opposing magnetic field lines around the loop would be counterclockwise. With the right-hand rule, this shows that the induced EMF's direction would be clockwise around the loop (and thus, making the current counterclockwise).

(I was going to delete but I don't see an option to do so).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted