Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B Electromagnetic induction question, coils and magnets

1. Jun 1, 2016 #1
    Say you have a coil connected in a closed circuit. You then move a magnet inside of the coil and it remains stationary inside of the coil. Is the magnet, even though it is stationary, still inducing an emf in the coil or is it not? I'm guessing it doesn't induce an emf in the coil because there is no change in flux linkage, but I'm not too sure.

Thank you for any help

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 1, 2016 #2

Dale

Staff: Mentor

I am not sure what you are asking. How can the magnet both move and remain stationary?

Do you mean that both the magnet and the coil are moving at the same velocity so that they have no relative motion? Or do you mean that the magnet remains at rest and the coil moves relative to the magnet?

4. Jun 1, 2016 #3
    Oh sorry! I meant you move the magnet INTO the coil and then it remains stationary inside of the coil

5. Jun 1, 2016 #4

Drakkith

That's correct. Since the magnetic field through the coil's windings isn't changing, there is no induced emf in the coil.

6. Jun 1, 2016 #5
    Ok cool, thank you

7. Jun 1, 2016 #6

Dale

Ah, ok. So there will be a voltage while it is moving into the coil, but once it stops the flux is no longer changing in time and so the voltage will be 0.

8. Jun 2, 2016 #7
    Yep this is what i thought, thank you very much

9. Jun 2, 2016 #8

David Lewis

Gold Member

If the coil is in a closed circuit, then when the magnet stops moving, the current will die off, and the coil will produce voltage via self induction.

10. Jun 2, 2016 #9

marcusl

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

No, once the magnet stops and the current has died away, there is no longer any EMF.

11. Jun 3, 2016 #10

David Lewis

Gold Member

True, but it takes some amount of time (after the magnet stops moving) for current to go to zero. The inductance of the coil prevents current from dropping to zero instantaneously.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted