Calculating EMF in Electromagnetic Induction Devices

In summary, the individual is looking for help with solving a problem involving flux and magnetic fields. They have built a prototype and are unsure of how to proceed with the equations.
ddarvil
Hi there,
I'm currently working on a personal project, not really a homework question and didn't get an answer there so trying this forum. The idea is for a device that harnesses vertical motion via electromagnetic induction for the purpose of energy harvesting. I have built a prototype to confirm it's operation but haven't been able to figure out how to do the emf calculations. The device consists of a permanent magnet oscillating inside a plastic tube which has a copper winding (solenoid) on the outside. The winding consists of 1000 turns and the magnet is N42 neodymium.
After doing a reasonable search on the internet, I'm not sure how to procede. Can anyone help please?

I'm not looking for a solution but a concise idea of how I go about solving this problem. It seems I need to use faradays law (e = -N d_flux/d_t) which seems straight forward enough. emf direction is of no concern as the AC waveform is rectified. Is Faraday's law or Maxwell's equations easier for this type of problem?

The problem I'm having is representing the change in flux. Factors I assume are needed to be taken into account include:

1. The distance between the magnet and the coil (changing magnetic field strength)
2. The velocity at which the magnet moves. (changing rate at which flux lines are "cut")
3. The changing incident angle of flux due to the magnets location with respect to the coil.

Am I correct in these assumptions? Is there likely anything fundamental I'm missing?

Any help or advice on how to obtain a symbolic solution (so I can change variables within my constraints to get the "best" solution) would be very much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org

What is electromagnetic induction?

Electromagnetic induction is the process of generating an electric current in a conductor by varying the magnetic field that passes through it.

How does electromagnetic induction work?

When a conductor, such as a wire, is placed in a changing magnetic field, a voltage is induced in the conductor, which causes an electric current to flow. This is due to the movement of electrons within the conductor in response to the changing magnetic field.

What is Faraday's law of electromagnetic induction?

Faraday's law of electromagnetic induction states that the magnitude of the induced voltage in a conductor is directly proportional to the rate of change of the magnetic field that passes through the conductor. It also states that the direction of the induced current is such that it opposes the change in magnetic field.

What are the applications of electromagnetic induction?

Electromagnetic induction has a wide range of applications, including power generation in generators and alternators, induction motors, transformers, and wireless charging technology. It is also used in devices such as induction cooktops and metal detectors.

How is electromagnetic induction related to the concept of energy conversion?

Electromagnetic induction is a prime example of energy conversion. When a magnetic field is converted into an electric current, the energy is being converted from one form (magnetic) to another (electric). This principle is used in many energy conversion processes and is vital in the functioning of many modern devices.