Electromagnetism –revising with past exam papers

In summary, the conversation is about a person trying to solve question C in their homework and seeking help. They mention having trouble finding the free surface density and question the accuracy of their answer for C. Another person suggests checking the relation between D and E and using Gauss's law for D. The conversation ends with the person thanking the other for their help.
The black vegetable

Homework Statement

upload_2017-5-14_14-24-33.png

trying to do question C

Homework Equations

I know my answer to C cannot be right because it's worth six marks, any help or tips would be greatly appreciated. :)

The Attempt at a Solution

upload_2017-5-14_14-33-27.png

Physics news on Phys.org
Check to see if you have the correct relation between D and E.

thanks TSny you're right I have got that the wrong way round, I am more perplexed by question c though, how to find the free surface density, if I had the correct value for the displacement field of the dielectric would my answer for c be right? I'm assuming it wouldn't as it's awarding 6 marks, so must be more complex.

I think your answer for (c) would be correct once you use the correct expression for D in terms of E. Maybe they feel that (c) requires more conceptual thought in using Gauss's law for D.

ok great thanks TSny

1. What is electromagnetism?

Electromagnetism is a branch of physics that deals with the interaction between electrically charged particles and their motion. It also includes the study of electric and magnetic fields, and how they can be harnessed to produce useful effects.

2. How does an electromagnet work?

An electromagnet works by running an electric current through a wire, which creates a magnetic field. This field can then attract or repel other magnets or magnetic materials. The strength of the electromagnet can be controlled by changing the amount of current running through the wire.

3. What is the difference between electricity and magnetism?

Electricity and magnetism are two separate but related phenomena. Electricity involves the flow of charged particles, while magnetism is the property of certain materials to attract or repel other magnets. However, they are closely linked and can be harnessed to produce powerful effects, such as in electromagnets.

4. What is the importance of studying electromagnetism?

Studying electromagnetism is crucial in understanding the fundamental forces of nature and how they govern the behavior of matter. It also has many practical applications, such as in power generation, telecommunications, and medical imaging technologies.

5. How can I prepare for an exam on electromagnetism?

To prepare for an exam on electromagnetism, it is important to review key concepts and equations, practice solving problems, and familiarize yourself with past exam papers. It may also be helpful to form study groups or seek guidance from a teacher or tutor. Additionally, make sure to get enough rest and manage your time effectively to ensure optimal performance on the exam.