Electron moving between 2 charged plates

In summary, an electron with velocity components of vx = 1.20*10^5 m/s and vy = 3.70*10^3 m/s is moving between two charged parallel plates with an electric field of Evec = (120 N/C) jhat. Its acceleration in the field is -2.11*10^13 m/s^2 jhat, and its velocity when its x coordinate has changed by 1.4 cm is 1.20*10^5 m/s ihat + -2.46*10^6 m/s jhat. To calculate this, the equations F=ma, F=E*Q, V*T=D, and V_0+A*T=V_1
juggalomike

Homework Statement

at some instant the velocity components of an electron moving between two charged parallel plates are vx = 1.20 105 m/s and vy = 3.70 103 m/s. Suppose that the electric field between the plates is given by Evec = (120 N/C) jhat.

(a) What is the electron's acceleration in the field?
-2.11*E13 m/s2 jhat Incorrect

(b) What is the electron's velocity when its x coordinate has changed by 1.4 cm?
1.20*E5 m/s ihat + -2.46*E6 m/s jhat Incorrect

Homework Equations

F=ma
F=E*Q
V*T=D
V_0+A*T=V_1

The Attempt at a Solution

Rearranging the above equations i get A=(E*Q)/M

so A=(120*1.6*10^-19)/(9.1*10^-31)=2.11*10^13 jhat in the negative direction

Because acceleration is in the J direction there is no Iforce, so I is constant. so for D=t*V or t=d/v t=.014m/1.2*10^5=1.17*10^-7

then V_F=V_I+A*T so V_F=3.7*10^3+-2.11*10^13*1.17^10^-7=-2.46*10^6

Yet all of my answers are incorrect, what am i doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Never mind, my answer was correct but the system wasn't accepting the format i was inputting it as(which is ironically the format they fed the information to me in)

1. How does an electron move between two charged plates?

Electrons move between two charged plates due to the electric field created by the difference in charge between the plates. Electrons, being negatively charged, are attracted to the positively charged plate and repelled by the negatively charged plate, causing them to move towards the positive plate.

2. What is the role of the electric field in the movement of electrons between two charged plates?

The electric field is responsible for the movement of electrons between two charged plates. It exerts a force on the negatively charged electrons, causing them to move towards the positive plate. The strength of the electric field depends on the distance between the plates and the magnitude of the charges on the plates.

3. Can the direction of electron movement between two charged plates be reversed?

Yes, the direction of electron movement between two charged plates can be reversed by changing the polarity of the plates. If the positive and negative charges on the plates are switched, the direction of the electric field will also change, causing the electrons to move in the opposite direction.

4. What factors affect the speed of electron movement between two charged plates?

The speed of electron movement between two charged plates is affected by several factors, including the distance between the plates, the magnitude of the charges on the plates, and the mass of the electrons. In general, the stronger the electric field and the closer the plates are together, the faster the electrons will move.

5. Can the movement of electrons between two charged plates be controlled?

Yes, the movement of electrons between two charged plates can be controlled by varying the strength of the electric field or by changing the distance between the plates. This can be done using devices such as capacitors, which allow for the manipulation of the electric field and thus the movement of electrons.