Was Electroporating Used in Ancient Times for Gold Plating and Mercury Coating?

• Thread starter Wodash
  • Start date
In summary, the speaker is a senior who is looking into studying topics that they were not able to study when they were younger. They are specifically interested in electroplating with gold, and whether an electric current is necessary for the process or if there are other methods. They also mention ancient "quicksilver" shields and how they were coated with a mercury-tin amalgam. They ask for help and clarification on these topics.
Wodash

Please excuse me if I'm in the wrong place. I'm not a student really, but am a senior looking into things I didn't get to study when young!

I admit, I'm looking for a few answers that will help me with something else I am researching.

I have read that the ancient Egyptians or perhaps it was Sumerians, knew how to electroplate with gold. Now I realize an electric current is needed, but is it absolutely necessary, or is there any other way at all that it could be done?

I am thinking of the shields that were coated with "quicksilver" in ancient times so to be used for flashing messages. I have read a bit about mining cinnebar and the mercury extraction, played with a little ball of mercury by brother boosted from the science lab, and can't figure out how the constantly, quick rolling ball of liquid could be applied to a smooth surface, like mirrors and become a solid coating.

I'd appreciate any help you can give me.
Thank you.

Chemistry news on Phys.org

Most likely it will be better to start a new thread with your questions, colud be one of the Mentors will split the thread.

You don't need to run current for electroplating to occur, if both metals differ in electroactivity enough one will get dissolved while the second will deposit ion th esurface. If you have copper sulfate at hand dissolve a little in water (so that it is blue) ant put an iron nail in it. I can't remember if this ancient electroplating thing is backed up with solid proofs or just a speculation.

"Mercury" mirrors were coated with mercury-tin amalgam. That's a solid alloy.

So instead of electricity one needs a chemical of some kind? What exactly is copper sulfate and what does it do in water? (Back to grade 1 for me!)

Oh - forgot this - how does one amalgamate mercury and tin?

Just mix mercury with powdered tin. Tin dissolves and the mixture gets more and more thick, till it solidifies.

1. What is electroporation?

Electroporation is a technique used in molecular biology to introduce foreign molecules, such as DNA or proteins, into cells. This is achieved by using an electrical pulse to temporarily create pores in the cell membrane, allowing for the passage of molecules that would not normally be able to enter the cell.

2. When was electroporation first discovered?

Electroporation was first discovered in the 1970s by researchers who were studying the effects of electrical fields on biological cells. However, the concept of using electricity to introduce substances into cells can be traced back to ancient civilizations, such as the Egyptians and Romans.

3. How was electroporation used in antiquity?

In antiquity, electroporation was not used in the same way as it is today. Instead, it was believed that applying electric shocks to the body could cure certain ailments and diseases. The Egyptians used electric fish to treat pain, while the Romans used electric eels for similar purposes.

4. How has the understanding of electroporation changed over time?

Initially, electroporation was thought to be a purely physical process that only affected the cell membrane. However, as research progressed, it was discovered that the electrical pulses also caused changes in the intracellular environment, leading to changes in gene expression and cell function.

5. What are the current applications of electroporation?

Today, electroporation is used in a variety of fields, including medicine, biotechnology, and genetic engineering. It is used to deliver therapeutic molecules, such as drugs or gene therapies, to specific cells in the body. It is also used in the production of genetically modified organisms and in research to study the function of specific genes and proteins.