Electrostatic and Gravitational Forces

In summary, the conversation involves a person seeking help with understanding a physics problem involving distance and forces. They mention using the variables "D", "Fgrav", "Fel", "G", "M", and "m" in their calculations and eventually reach a solution with the help of someone else.
grscott_2000
*Thanks for the help*

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
grscott_2000 said:
This has been driving me nuts! If a distance were specified I'd have it in an instant. Everything I've learned up to now has involved a separation between points.
Hint: Call the distance "D". Maybe you don't need the actual distance. :wink:

I know that Fgrav = -G * Mm/r^2
That's the one.
And that Fgrav = mg
No, that's the weight of the particles--their attraction to the earth, not to each other.

*thanks for the help*

Last edited:
grscott_2000 said:
If I do a bit of rearranging and combining, would I get

Fel/Fgrav = (k q Q) / (-G m M)
Just set Fel = Fgrav.
Get rid of that minus sign--you are comparing magnitudes.

This at least cancels out the distance. I feel like this is a step closer though. Maybe my idea is correct even if the algebra is a bit off?
You are almost there. Clean up the q & Q, m & M stuff: the charges are equal; the masses are equal (and given). Solve for the charge then plug in the numbers.

*thanks for the help*

Last edited:
Looks good to me.

Many thanks for your help... All I often need is a prod in the right direction

What are electrostatic and gravitational forces?

Electrostatic and gravitational forces are two fundamental forces that govern the interactions between particles and objects in the universe. Electrostatic forces are the forces of attraction or repulsion between electrically charged particles, while gravitational forces are the forces of attraction between objects with mass.

How do electrostatic and gravitational forces differ?

Electrostatic forces act between particles with electric charge, while gravitational forces act between objects with mass. Additionally, electrostatic forces can be either attractive or repulsive, while gravitational forces are always attractive.

What is the relationship between electrostatic and gravitational forces?

The strength of electrostatic forces between two charged particles is determined by the magnitude of their charges and the distance between them. Similarly, the strength of gravitational forces between two objects is determined by their masses and the distance between them. However, gravitational forces are much weaker than electrostatic forces.

How are electrostatic and gravitational forces used in everyday life?

Electrostatic forces are used in a variety of everyday technologies, such as electronics and air purifiers. Gravitational forces are also important in everyday life, as they keep objects on Earth's surface and govern the motion of celestial bodies in the solar system.

Can electrostatic and gravitational forces be manipulated or controlled?

Yes, both electrostatic and gravitational forces can be manipulated or controlled through various methods. For example, electrically charged objects can be attracted or repelled by applying an external electric field. Similarly, the gravitational force between objects can be altered by changing their masses or the distance between them.