1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electrostatic forces helpp

1. Jan 14, 2009 #1
    Electrostatic forces helpp!!

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Two spheres, each having a mass of 50.0 mg, are suspended from a common point by massless threads 50.0 cm long. One of the spheres have been given a charge twice that of the other. The strings make an angle of 6.00 degrees.
    What are the charges on each of the spheres?

2. Relevant equations
    F = k ((q1)(q2))/r^2

3. The attempt at a solution

Since the lengths of the strings on both sides are 50 cm, I drew an imaginary line between the two spheres. I found out that the other two angles had to be 87 degrees because both of the sides were equal. Then, I used law of cosines to find that the length between the spheres is 27.4 cm, which would be r in the equation. I also know that either q1 = 2q2 or q2 = 2q1, but I do not understand how I am supposed to use the masses of the spheres to find out the charge. Is there an equation that I'm missing here??

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 14, 2009 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Welcome to PF!

Hi krnaudio ! Welcome to PF! :smile:

There are three forces on each sphere … tension, gravity, and electric …

so make the vector sum zero (or draw a vector triangle ) :wink:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?