Why Is My Calculation of the Net Electric Field Incorrect?

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with finding the net electric field at a point on the x-axis, where two charged spheres are located at different distances from the origin. The first part of the problem was solved easily, but the second part requires finding the field at a specific point between the two spheres. The conversation concludes with a hint on how to approach this problem.
Brianjw
I'm stuck on a Electrostatic problem which I just don't seem to get.

The left-hand sphere has a positive charge Q and the right-hand sphere has a negative charge -Q. Charge is distibuted uniformly over each of two spherical volumes with radius . One sphere of charge is centered at the origin and the other at x = 2R

Find the magnitude of the net electric field at the point on the x-axis.

I did the first part already where it wanted the field at the orgin which was simple:

Q/(4*pi*epislon_0*(2R)^2)

but if I try the same method for this one it doesn't seem to work. I wanted to add them together I tried:

Q/(4*pi*epislon_0*(.5R)^2) + Q/(4*pi*epislon_0*(3R/2)^2)

but doesn't like it.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
find the field where?

You're going to have to be clearer as to what the problem is. Where are you trying to find the field?

Err sorry. It wants me to find the E-field at the Point X=R/2.

Let me put up a picture to help:

http://mp.pearsoncmg.com/probhtml/yf.Figure.22.64.jpg

So I found that the E-field at Point X=0 is:

E = Q/(4*pi*epsilon_0*(2R) ^2 sicne the point is at the center of the first sphere its field doesn't matter, you just use the 2nd sphere which is 2R away to solve it.

I've used this method for other parts of the problem as well. Where I just the two E-fields together to get the right answer. I think there must be something difference since the E-field lies inside one of the spheres.

Last edited by a moderator:
OK, it looks like you are trying to find the field at x = R/2.

You know how to find the field due to a uniform sphere of charge for all points outside the sphere (r > R). But what is the field for r < R? Hint: The field at a distance x from the center depends only on the charge for r < x. The field at x due to charges at r > x cancels out.

Nm, I got it, thanks for the tip.

Last edited:

Related to Why Is My Calculation of the Net Electric Field Incorrect?

1. What is electrostatics?

Electrostatics is the branch of physics that deals with the study of electric charges at rest and the forces and fields they create.

2. How does electrostatics differ from electrodynamics?

Electrostatics deals with stationary charges, while electrodynamics deals with moving charges and their interactions with electric and magnetic fields.

3. What is an electric field?

An electric field is a region in space around a charged object where another charged object would experience a force.

4. How can electrostatics be applied in everyday life?

Electrostatics is used in many modern technologies, such as televisions, printers, and air cleaners. It is also essential in understanding lightning and electrical discharges.

5. What is the relationship between electric charge and electric force?

The electric force between two charged objects is directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. This relationship is known as Coulomb's Law.