1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electrostatics question

1. Nov 25, 2006 #1
    A uniform electric field has a magnitude of 3.0 103 N/C. In a vacuum, a proton begins with a speed of 2.4 104 m/s and moves in the direction of this field. Find the speed of the proton after it has moved a distance of 1.0 mm.

I am confused with the fact that there is a velocity int his problem, I have not done electrostatics since last year and I do not recall any formulas with velocity or speed. I have used the equation [tex]E = F/q[/tex] to find Force...then I just don't know what to do after that, any suggestions or hints are appreciated, thank you!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 25, 2006 #2
    I don't know if its valid on such a small scale but you could try the following:

You have the force. You know that F = ma. Once you find the acceleration, you could use a newtonian equation of motion. I believe there is one that relates acceleration, distance, initial and final velocity. The distance is given, and the initial velocity can be taken as 0.

I think the equation is [itex]v_f^2 = v_0^2 + 2ad[/itex].

4. Nov 25, 2006 #3
    Hm, I guess I could try that. you're right, but i am also not sure if it works on an atomic scale.

5. Nov 26, 2006 #4

OlderDan

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

This is not a problem of force acting "on an atomic scale". It is a problem involving the motion of a small particle responding to an applied force moving a huge number of atomic diameters. The particle and it's motion may be analyzed using the laws of classical physics.

6. Nov 26, 2006 #5
    Ah I see, so the Uniformly Accelerated Motion equations do indeed apply? I will try some calculations if you can check them for me I would greatly appreciate it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?