Elementary Thermodynamics Question

In summary: My professor used mcAt = mcAt... so I was definitely not the only one confused. Thanks for clearing it up for us!
Steven925
The prompt for the question I am seeking help on is:

"A freezer contains 20 kg of food with a specifit heat of 2x10^3 J/kg*c. The temperature inside the freezer is initially -5*C. The freezer motor them operates for 10 minutes, reducing the temperature to -8*C."

I have found solutions to the first three portions of the question:
a)How much heat is removed from the food during this time? The freezer operates at 400W

Q = -120,000J using Q = CM(t(f) - t(i))

b)How much energy is delivered to the freezer motor suring the 10 minute period?

P = W/T = 240,000J

c)During this time, how much total heat is ejected into the room in which the freezer is located?

Q = Q + W = 360,000J

----------------

D is what i need help on:

"Determine the temperature change in the room if the specific heat of air is 700J/Kg*C. assume there are 80 kilograms of air in the room, the volume of the air is constant, and there is no heat loss from the room"

I have tried using the standard Q = cm(delta)t:

360,000J = 700J/Kg*c * 80 (delta)t

but that comes out to approximately 6.2 degrees celcius. My instructor says the answer is 7.3*C and I'm unsure of what I may be doing incorrectly. Any guidance would be greatly appreceiated.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
hrmmm. I tried doing mcAt = mcAt...

but it doesn't seem to work. lol

Steven925 said:
I have tried using the standard Q = cm(delta)t:

360,000J = 700J/Kg*c * 80 (delta)t

but that comes out to approximately 6.2 degrees celcius. My instructor says the answer is 7.3*C and I'm unsure of what I may be doing incorrectly. Any guidance would be greatly appreceiated.

Thanks!
I don't see anything wrong with your method. I get 6.4 deg. C which to the correct significant figures should be 6 deg. C.

AM

1. What is thermodynamics?

Thermodynamics is the study of the relationship between heat, work, energy, and temperature. It is a branch of physics that focuses on the behavior and properties of systems that involve changes in temperature and energy.

2. What is the first law of thermodynamics?

The first law of thermodynamics, also known as the law of conservation of energy, states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted from one form to another.

3. How is thermodynamics applied in real life?

Thermodynamics has numerous practical applications, such as in the design of engines, refrigeration systems, and power plants. It is also used in fields such as chemistry, biology, and environmental science to understand the behavior of matter and energy.

4. What is the difference between heat and temperature?

Heat is a form of energy that is transferred between two objects due to a temperature difference. Temperature, on the other hand, is a measure of the average kinetic energy of the particles in a system.

5. Why is thermodynamics important?

Thermodynamics is important because it helps us understand and predict the behavior of matter and energy in various systems. It also plays a crucial role in the development of new technologies and improving existing ones.