Calculating Scale Reading in an Accelerating Elevator

In summary, a woman posts on a forum seeking help with finding the scale reading during acceleration in a moving elevator. She considers using the equations a=Fn/m and Fn=mg+ma but is unsure which is correct. The response suggests finding the acceleration using Newton's 2nd law and then applying it to the woman alone.
IShouldBSurfing
Hello! This is my first time posting here! I'm so glad I found this site, it's helped a lot already just by reading other people's questions! But now I have my own -
A woman stands on a scale in a moving elevator. Her mass is 52.5 kg, and the combined mass of the elevator and scale is an additional 815 kg. Starting from rest, the elevator accelerates upward. During the acceleration, the hoisting cable applies a force of 9750 N. What does the scale read during the acceleration?

I thought that I would find acceleration by using a=Fn/m and then putting acceleration into Fn=mg+ma.. but I can't seem to get the right answer.. help please?

Physics news on Phys.org
IShouldBSurfing said:
I thought that I would find acceleration by using a=Fn/m and then putting acceleration into Fn=mg+ma.. but I can't seem to get the right answer.. help please?
Welcome to PF!

Those equations seem to contradict each other! :smile: Since I don't know what you mean by "Fn" (normal force? net force?), I can't tell which is correct.

In any case, do this: First find the acceleration by considering the net force on the combined mass of "woman + elevator + scale" and applying Newton's 2nd law to that. Then apply Newton's 2nd law to the woman alone, making use of the acceleration you already found.

yay

thank you so much!

What is the "Elevator homework problem"?

The "Elevator homework problem" is a common question used in physics and engineering classes to demonstrate the concept of work and energy. It involves calculating the amount of work done by a person when they lift a book from the ground and place it on a shelf.

What is the formula for calculating work?

The formula for calculating work is W = F x d, where W is work in joules, F is force in newtons, and d is distance in meters. This formula can be applied to the Elevator homework problem by considering the force exerted by the person and the distance the book is lifted.

Why is the Elevator homework problem important?

The Elevator homework problem is important because it helps students understand the concept of work and energy. It also demonstrates how a simple task, like lifting a book, requires a certain amount of work to be done. This problem can also be applied to real-life scenarios, such as lifting objects in a workplace.

What are some common mistakes students make when solving the Elevator homework problem?

Some common mistakes students make when solving the Elevator homework problem include not considering the direction of the force, not converting units correctly, and not understanding the concept of work and energy. It is important for students to carefully read and understand the problem before attempting to solve it.

Are there any real-life applications of the Elevator homework problem?

Yes, the Elevator homework problem can be applied to real-life situations, such as lifting objects while working or exercising. It can also be used to calculate the work done by machines, such as elevators, cranes, and pulleys. Understanding the concept of work and energy is important in various industries, including engineering, construction, and manufacturing.