Elimination reactions of cyclohexane derivatives

In summary, the two products of the E2 reaction of 1-bromo-2-methylcyclohexane are 2-methylcyclohexene and 3-methylcyclohexene. However, when trans-1-bromo-2-methylcyclohexane is subjected to dehydrohalogenation, the major product is 3-methylcyclohexene. This suggests that there is a hydride shift in the E2 reaction.
baldbrain

Homework Statement

When trans-2-methylcyclohexanol is subjected to acid-catalyzed dehydration, the major product is 1-methylcyclohexene.
IMG_20180614_192151.JPG

However, when trans-1-bromo-2-methylcyclohexane is subjected to dehydrohalogenation, the major product is 3-methylcyclohexene.
IMG_20180614_192708.JPG

The attempt at a solution
Obviously, this is an E1 mechanism and the hydride shifts occur from either of the adjacent (to the carbocation) carbons in each case.
Also, -Br is a much better leaving group than -OH (but I don't know if it's relevant here).
The 3° hydrogen in case 2 is more acidic due to the greater -I effect of -Br. Right?
How will this affect the outcome of the reaction?
How can we account for the different outcomes anyway?

Attachments

• IMG_20180614_192151.JPG
    IMG_20180614_192151.JPG
    19.7 KB · Views: 1,144
  • IMG_20180614_192708.JPG
    IMG_20180614_192708.JPG
    19.1 KB · Views: 608
Physics news on Phys.org
Is the mechanism the same in both cases?
Is there a hydride shift?
Is the leaving group -OH?

baldbrain said:
Obviously, this is an E1 mechanism
Are you sure about that?
Edit: ninja'd by mjc123.

Edit: I was actually wondering now that case 2 outcome should've been 2-methylcyclohexane instead (due to the more acidic hydrogen)?

baldbrain said:
Edit: I was actually wondering now that case 2 outcome should've been 2-methylcyclohexane instead (due to the more acidic hydrogen)?
Well, I think case 1 is definitely E1.

baldbrain said:
Well, I think case 1 is definitely E1.
Why? and do the same considerations apply for case 2?

baldbrain said:
2-methylcyclohexane
Side note: this molecule doesn't exist (why?)

mjc123 said:
Is the leaving group -OH?
The protonated hydroxyl - carbon bond breaks, that's for sure.
mjc123 said:
Is there a hydride shift?
Since you objected, I'm reconsidering whether the 2nd is E1.

TeethWhitener said:
Side note: this molecule doesn't exist (why?)
I'm sorry I meant 2-methylcyclohexene

Likes TeethWhitener
TeethWhitener said:
Why? and do the same considerations apply for case 2?
Oh, no. The 2nd is an E2 mechanism

Ok, so I see that in case 2, the base will attack the 2° hydrogen in preference to the 3° one.

baldbrain said:
Oh, no. The 2nd is an E2 mechanism
Ok. (You still haven't said why, but) we can move on. What will the intermediate look like in both cases?

baldbrain said:
Ok, so I see that in case 2, the base will attack the 2° hydrogen in preference to the 3° one.
Of course this is true, given the product, but why?

TeethWhitener said:
Of course this is true, given the product, but why?
For E2, it's 1°>2°>3°

I get it. I mainly got confused because of thinking that both were E1. Also, I went into thinking inductive effects and all.

baldbrain said:
For E2, it's 1°>2°>3°
Why do you think this? It's not right.

TeethWhitener said:
Why do you think this? It's not right.
Why? That's what we're taught.

baldbrain said:
Why? That's what we're taught.
What is the E2 product of 2-bromobutane?

Remember Zaitsev's rule.

Likes jim mcnamara
2-Butene + 1-Butene
(major) (minor)

baldbrain said:
2-Butene
Right, so clearly
baldbrain said:
For E2, it's 1°>2°>3°
Is incorrect. If it were correct, you'd expect the product to be 1-butene.

Moving on. The important thing to think about is the intermediate. What does it look like in the 1-bromo-2-methylcyclohexane E2 reaction?

Well, with Saytzeff's rule, even the case 2 product should've been same?

Likes TeethWhitener
baldbrain said:
Well, with Saytzeff's rule, even the case 2 product should've been same?
Right. Which tells you that there's something else going on. Draw out the intermediate. It might even help to build a 3D model of the molecule.

Likes baldbrain
I got it. It has to do with the anti coplanar state preferred during E2 eliminations. In cyclohexane derivatives, the anti coplanar state is achieved only when the leaving group and the hydrogen adjacent to it are axial. Here, we've got trans-1-bromo-2-methylcyclohexane, whose chair confirmation would be as follows, and clearly the hydrogen on C3 is the only axial hydrogen adjacent to the -Br. Hence the product.
Of course, the more stable confirmation of the reactant will be with the -Br being equatorial & -CH3 being axial, but it has to interconvert to this less stable intermediate to react.
IMG_20180615_163911.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_20180615_163911.JPG
    IMG_20180615_163911.JPG
    51.2 KB · Views: 481
Likes TeethWhitener
This is the right idea. The picture is almost correct, but on the carbon labeled 3, the axial H that is abstracted by the base will be pointed downward. The main point is that the leaving group and the proton have to be antiperiplanar in E2 reactions.

Good work.

Likes baldbrain
TeethWhitener said:
This is the right idea. The picture is almost correct, but on the carbon labeled 3, the axial H that is abstracted by the base will be pointed downward. The main point is that the leaving group and the proton have to be antiperiplanar in E2 reactions.

Good work.
Oh, right. They must point alternately upward and downward. Thanks

1. What are elimination reactions of cyclohexane derivatives?

Elimination reactions of cyclohexane derivatives are chemical reactions that involve the removal of a molecule or atom from a cyclohexane molecule, resulting in the formation of a double bond. These reactions typically occur in the presence of a strong base or acid, and can result in the formation of alkenes or alkynes.

2. What is the mechanism of elimination reactions of cyclohexane derivatives?

The mechanism of elimination reactions of cyclohexane derivatives involves a series of steps, including the formation of a cyclic transition state, followed by the removal of a proton from the beta position and the formation of a double bond. This process can occur through either an E1 or E2 mechanism, depending on the reaction conditions.

3. What factors influence the rate of elimination reactions of cyclohexane derivatives?

The rate of elimination reactions of cyclohexane derivatives can be influenced by several factors, including the strength of the base or acid used, the steric hindrance of the substituents on the cyclohexane ring, and the stability of the resulting product. Temperature and solvent choice can also play a role in the rate of the reaction.

4. What are the differences between elimination reactions and substitution reactions?

Elimination reactions and substitution reactions are two types of organic reactions that involve the breaking and making of bonds. The main difference between these two types of reactions is that elimination reactions result in the removal of a molecule or atom, while substitution reactions involve the replacement of a functional group or atom with another group or atom.

5. How are cyclohexane derivatives used in industry?

Cyclohexane derivatives are used in a variety of industries, including pharmaceuticals, plastics, and fragrances. They are commonly used as solvents, intermediates in chemical synthesis, and as starting materials for the production of other compounds. Cyclohexane derivatives are also used as additives in gasoline to improve combustion and reduce emissions.