Ellipse tangent line using projections

In summary, the question is about finding the perpendicular projection of the intersection points of PR and P'R' on the major axis, and QR and Q'R'' on the minor axis. However, the line segments P'R' and Q'R'' do not intersect these lines, and therefore no new points are generated. A diagram may help clarify the question.
arthur werbrouck
Hi :)

The question is in dutch so i'l translate it.

on an ellipse E with vertex P and P' on the major axis and vertex Q and Q' on the minor axis. chose R(x1,y1), the projection of R on the major axis is R' and on the minor axis is R''. Define the perpendicular projection of the intrersection point of PR and P'R' on the major axis. And define the perpendicular projection of the intersection point of QR and Q'R'' on the minor axis. prove that the line drawn from these two projections is the tangent line of R.

I Get stuck every time. Sorry if the awnser is obvious, I'm only 16. I attached a quick sketch i made and sorry if there are translation errors.kind regards Arthur

this is the sketch

Mathematics news on Phys.org
arthur werbrouck said:
Define the perpendicular projection of the intrersection point of PR and P'R' on the major axis.
Something must have got lost in translation. The line segment P'R' lies on the major axis and does not intersect the line segment PR. If we extend P'R' to intersect PR then it does so at P, which generates no new points.

Similarly, Q'R'' lies on the minor axis and does not intersect QR'.

I suggest posting a diagram.

1. What is an ellipse tangent line?

An ellipse tangent line is a line that touches an ellipse at exactly one point. It is perpendicular to the ellipse's curve at that point, and it represents the slope of the ellipse at that point.

2. How is the tangent line of an ellipse calculated?

The tangent line of an ellipse can be calculated using projections. This involves projecting the ellipse onto a plane, then finding the tangent line to the projected ellipse at the point of intersection with the original ellipse. This tangent line will be the same as the tangent line of the original ellipse.

3. What is the significance of the tangent line of an ellipse?

The tangent line of an ellipse is significant because it allows us to determine the slope of the ellipse at a specific point. This can be useful in understanding the curvature and behavior of the ellipse at that point, as well as for applications in fields such as engineering and physics.

4. Can an ellipse have multiple tangent lines?

Yes, an ellipse can have multiple tangent lines. In fact, every point on the ellipse has its own unique tangent line. This is because the slope of the ellipse changes at every point along its curve.

5. What is the relationship between the tangent line and the normal line of an ellipse?

The tangent line and the normal line of an ellipse are perpendicular to each other at the point of tangency. This means that the tangent line represents the slope of the ellipse at that point, while the normal line represents the perpendicular slope. Together, they form a right angle that helps to define the curvature of the ellipse.