EM Waves Vs Photons: Can Physical Explanations Explain All?

In summary, EM waves can display wave-like behavior that cannot be explained purely in terms of photons traveling in a straight path between the emitter and the absorber.
rjbeery
Are there any EM wave behaviors that cannot be explained in a purely physical, "photonic" manner? I'm speaking specifically of the photon's path from emitter to absorber, irrespective of "why" that path was taken (in other words, the double-slit experiment does not qualify in the context of my question). Basically, is the attached picture ever possible?
3392367461_1bbd3a1650.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
That picture looks to me like a representation of a polarized wave going through a polarizing material only if the axis is in the right direction.

The picture was an attempt at showing an EM wave doing an "end run" around the edge of an otherwise impenetrable material (a very thin wall, for example). Notice that a photon traveling in a direct path between the emitter and the absorber would not be capable of doing this. Is there evidence that this ever occurs? I'm asking for direct evidence of wave-like behavior.

Are you asking, does light ever display behavior that a shower of bullets can't? The answer is yes. Consider diffraction.

If I remember my history correctly, the Airy disk was predicted mathematically before it was observed experimentally. When it was demonstrated soon thereafter, the corpuscular theory of light was demolished.

Cantab: I will look into it, thanks so much. Any other ideas?

rjbeery said:
photon traveling in a direct path

What makes you think photons travel in direct paths, or indeed in any well-defined path at all? :wink:

Quantum theory doesn't address the question, "which path does a photon (or any other particle) take?" That is the subject of interpretations of quantum theory, about which there is no general agreement.

In each case, an EM-wave such as the one you drew is NOT a photon bobbing up and down.

jtbell: I find it interesting to assume a fully and objectively realistic world that exists without our involvement. I test my theories by asking questions. Yes, this is the subject of interpretations but, regardless of whether we are unable to ever know the answer, this should not mean that a "true" answer does not exist.

Nick89: Thanks for helping this non-Physicist but I understand that the photon itself does not "bob". I'm curious to know whether there are circumstances inexplicable by straight-traveling particles (or a "shower of bullets" as Cantab described them).

I was thinking along the lines of maybe a shadow which was diffracted along its edges, but shadow diffraction occurs on Earth due to molecular scattering from the air. Basically my question could be answered if I knew whether a shadow has a distinct edge in a vacuum. I think. :uhh:

1. What are EM waves and photons?

EM waves, or electromagnetic waves, are a type of energy that is produced by the acceleration of electric charges. Photons, on the other hand, are particles of light that carry electromagnetic energy.

2. What is the difference between EM waves and photons?

The main difference between EM waves and photons is that EM waves are a type of energy, while photons are particles. EM waves are a continuous flow of energy, whereas photons are discrete packets of energy.

3. Can physical explanations fully explain the relationship between EM waves and photons?

While physical explanations can provide a thorough understanding of the relationship between EM waves and photons, there are still some aspects that remain unexplained. For example, the wave-particle duality of light is still not fully understood.

4. How are EM waves and photons related to each other?

EM waves and photons are closely related because EM waves are made up of photons. When an electric field and a magnetic field oscillate together, they create EM waves which are composed of photons.

5. Can we observe EM waves and photons directly?

EM waves and photons are both invisible to the human eye. However, we can indirectly observe their effects through various experiments and technologies such as telescopes and cameras.