Emergency Homework Help: Forces

In summary, The helicopter, with a mass of 4500kg, is accelerating upward at 2m/s^2. To find the lift force exerted by the air on the propellers, we use Newton's Second Law of Motion, which states that Force = Mass times Acceleration. Therefore, the lift force is equal to 9000N. However, this does not take into consideration the force of gravity acting on the helicopter, which must be overcome by the lift force. To account for this, we use the equation \Sigma F = F_{lift} - mg, where \Sigma F is the net force, F_{lift} is the lift force, and mg is the force of gravity. Therefore, the final
viola_85
A 4500-kg helicopter accelerates upward at 2m/s^2. What lift force is exerted by the air on the propellers?

Is the answer just Newtons Second Law of Motion F=ma, so F=(4500kg)*(2)
, so F= 9000N

Physics news on Phys.org
Don't forget that gravity is also acting on the helicopter, and the propellers must overcome the force of gravity as well.

cookiemonster

so would I have to convert the initial mass into weight. i.e. W=MG

(4500)*(9.8)=44100
44100*2=88200N

Is that what I would have to do?

The lift must be greater than the weight enough to accelerate the helicopter 2 m/s^2.

F = aF is an equation you just made up and has no meaning. Try using Newton's 2nd Law.

cookiemonster

But Newton's Second Law is Force = Mass times Acceleration. Which I used in the first place.

Yes, you did a good job of finding the net force on the helicopter. But that's not the lift because you're not taking into consideration gravity.

cookiemonster

I think cookie is saying this

F = (4500)(9.8 + 2)

The law is:
[tex]\Sigma F = ma[/tex]
But the lift force is not the only one acting on the helicopter:
[tex]\Sigma F = F_{lift} - mg[/tex]

Chen said:
The law is:
[tex]\Sigma F = ma[/tex]
But the lift force is not the only one acting on the helicopter:
[tex]\Sigma F = F_{lift} - mg[/tex]

Although technically correct, your post can cause a great deal of confusion for somebody who doesn't fully understand the concept.

If I'm understanding correctly, you are saying this.
ma = F - mg
F = ma + mg
F = m(a+g) <----- like my post said

Yes, and why would my post cause confusion? Your post confuses me. :wink: I just thought it would be better to show how to get to the solution you posted, so that in future problems he can do the same.

What are forces?

Forces are any interaction that can cause a change in the motion or shape of an object. They can be contact forces, such as pushing or pulling, or non-contact forces, such as gravity or magnetic attraction.

What are the different types of forces?

There are four main types of forces: gravitational, electromagnetic, strong nuclear, and weak nuclear. Gravitational forces are responsible for the attraction between objects with mass. Electromagnetic forces are associated with charged particles and can be attractive or repulsive. Strong nuclear forces hold the nucleus of an atom together. Weak nuclear forces are responsible for radioactive decay.

How do forces affect motion?

Forces can cause an object to speed up, slow down, or change direction. This is described by Newton's Laws of Motion, which state that an object will continue to move at a constant speed in a straight line unless acted upon by an unbalanced force.

What are some examples of forces in everyday life?

Some common examples of forces in everyday life include gravity, friction, tension, and air resistance. Gravity keeps us grounded on Earth, friction allows us to walk without slipping, tension allows us to pick up objects, and air resistance slows down moving objects.

How can I calculate the magnitude and direction of a force?

To calculate the magnitude and direction of a force, you can use the formula F=ma, where F is force, m is mass, and a is acceleration. The direction of the force can be determined by the direction of the acceleration. Additionally, vector diagrams can be used to visually represent the magnitude and direction of a force.