Solving Emergency Problem Involving Rod Rotating Around Z Axis

• Thread starter ShayanJ
  • Start date
In summary, a mass is constrained to move on a rod that rotates around the z-axis with angular velocity omega. The angle between the rod and z-axis is constant and equal to alpha. The gravitational force is in the negative direction of the z-axis and the friction between the mass and rod is negligible. At time t=0, the mass is at distance r_{0} from the origin and is stationary relative to rod.
ShayanJ
Insights Author
Gold Member
There is a rod rotating around the z axis with angular velocity [itex] \omega [/itex].The angle between the rod and z axis is constant and equal to [itex] \alpha [/itex].A mass m is constrained to move on the rod.The gravitational force is in the negative direction of z axis and the friction between the mass and rod is negligible.At time t=0 , the mass is at distance [itex] r_{0} [/itex] from the origin and is stationary relative to rod.

1-In a proper coordinate system,write the Newton's second law for the mass in a inertial frame of reference and write the differential equations of motion.Highlight the expressions indicating the reaction of rod.

2-Solve the differential equations and write the mass's distance from origin as a function of time.

3-Calculate the reaction force of the rod(direction and magnitude)

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Does the following get you started?

Attachments

• aaaaa103.jpg
    aaaaa103.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 361
Thanks alot.My mistake was that I didn't write N but only the centripetal force.

But it seems sth is wrong there.Just imagine such a thing not rotating.you know that the mass slides down.So it seems that [itex] N \sin {\alpha} [/itex] is not equal to mg.
Another question.
Last night I worked on it and got some things but there is a big puzzle in my mind.
Textbooks say that the acceleration in spherical coordinates is as following:

[itex] \textbf{a}=(\ddot{r} - r \dot{\phi}^{2} \sin ^ {2} \theta -r \dot{\theta}^{2}) \hat{e_{r}} + [/itex] [itex] ( r \ddot{\theta} + 2 \dot{r} \dot{\theta} - r \dot{\phi} ^ {2} \sin {\theta} \cos{\theta}) \hat{e_{\theta}} + [/itex] [itex] (r \ddot{\phi} \sin{\theta} + 2 \dot {r} \dot {\phi} \sin {\theta} + 2 r \dot{\theta} \dot{\phi} \cos{\theta}) \hat{e_{\phi}}
[/itex]

Shoud I use the r coordinate of the above equation for writing Newton's 2nd law or simply write [itex] m \ddot{r} [/itex] ?
I tried both.When I use the equation above I get crazy things.But when I use [itex] m \ddot{r} [/itex] I get a cosine.
I'm just wondering that the above equation is the most general and can't understand why it becomes wrong in this problem.

The last question.
The [itex] \theta [/itex] coordinate of the acceleration should be zero.But when I write the Newton's 2nd law in that coordinate and replace [itex] \ddot{\theta} [/itex] with zero,I get r=constant,which is clearly wrong.Could you write that?

thanks

Last edited:
Do you know what i said?

Attachments

• untitled5.jpg
    untitled5.jpg
    9 KB · Views: 307
for sharing this problem. I would approach this problem by first understanding the physical setup and identifying the relevant variables and forces at play.

1. Newton's second law states that the net force acting on an object is equal to its mass times its acceleration. In this scenario, the mass m is constrained to move on the rotating rod, so we can write the Newton's second law as:

m\frac{d^2r}{dt^2} = F_{net}

where r is the position of the mass along the rod, t is time, and F_{net} is the net force acting on the mass. In this case, the only forces acting on the mass are the gravitational force (mg) and the reaction force from the rod (R). We can break down the net force into its x, y, and z components as follows:

F_{net,x} = R\cos\alpha - mg\sin\alpha

F_{net,y} = 0

F_{net,z} = R\sin\alpha + mg\cos\alpha

Note that the y component is zero since the mass is constrained to move along the rod, and the frictional force is negligible. Therefore, the differential equations of motion for the mass are:

\frac{d^2r}{dt^2} = \frac{R\cos\alpha - mg\sin\alpha}{m}

\frac{d^2r}{dt^2} = \frac{R\sin\alpha + mg\cos\alpha}{m}

2. To solve these differential equations, we can use the initial conditions given in the problem. At t=0, the mass is at distance r_0 from the origin and is stationary relative to the rod. This means that its initial velocity is zero, so we can write:

\frac{dr}{dt}\bigg|_{t=0} = 0

Integrating this equation with respect to time, we get:

\frac{dr}{dt} = \int_0^t\frac{R\cos\alpha - mg\sin\alpha}{m}dt

\frac{dr}{dt} = \frac{R}{m}\cos\alpha t - \frac{g}{m}\sin\alpha t + C_1

where C_1 is a constant of integration. Using the initial condition, we can solve for C_1:

1. What is the first step in solving an emergency problem involving a rod rotating around the Z axis?

The first step is to assess the situation and identify the specific problem. This may involve observing the rotation of the rod, determining any external forces acting on it, and assessing any potential hazards.

2. How can I calculate the angular velocity of the rod rotating around the Z axis?

The angular velocity can be calculated by dividing the change in angle by the change in time. This can be measured using a timer or by tracking the rotation visually and recording the time it takes for a full rotation.

3. What are the key factors to consider when solving an emergency problem involving a rod rotating around the Z axis?

Some key factors to consider include the mass and length of the rod, the external forces acting on it, and the angular velocity. It is also important to consider any potential safety hazards or risks associated with the problem.

4. How can I stop a rod rotating around the Z axis in an emergency situation?

The best way to stop a rotating rod in an emergency situation will depend on the specific circumstances. However, some possible solutions may include applying an external force in the opposite direction of the rotation, using a brake or clamp to stop the rotation, or cutting off the power source if the rod is being driven by a motor.

5. Are there any safety precautions I should take when solving an emergency problem involving a rod rotating around the Z axis?

Yes, it is important to prioritize safety when dealing with any emergency situation. Some precautions to take may include wearing appropriate protective gear, ensuring a safe distance from the rotating rod, and following proper emergency protocols. It is also important to assess any potential risks and hazards before attempting to solve the problem.