EMF generator from audio speaker

In summary: I was wondering if an audio transducer such as a speaker could act as a EMF generator when the paper woofer is removed and the device connected to a function generator and an amplifier, in order to play the signal with the magnet only.Sure, you can use one for a microphone.
gaba
Hello everybody, I am trying to figure out how to build an electro magnetic generator.
I was wondering if an audio transducer such a speaker could act as a EMF generator, when the paper woofer is removed and the device connected to a function generator and an amplifier, in order to play the signal with the magnet only.
Would it be the same thing?

Engineering news on Phys.org
You already have a function generator and an amplifier, so you can generate an AC EMF using these.

The windings in a speaker voice coil will generate a magnetic field, same as any coil. The speaker coil is suspended near a permanant magnet, so it can move when the fields of the coil and magnet interact.

Likes 1 person
I was wondering if an audio transducer such a speaker could act as a EMF generator, when the paper woofer is removed and the device connected to a function generator and an amplifier, in order to play the signal with the magnet only.

That's a statement not a question.
A question well stated is half answered.
What is the question ? I got frustrated tying to figure that out.

I was wondering if an audio transducer such a speaker could act as a EMF generator,
sure, you can use one for a microphone.
A speaker is one form of electric motor, it makes electrical energy into motion using magnetic principles.
when the paper woofer is removed a
that i understood, if you meant the paper 'cone'.

and the device
What device? The voice coil or the speaker suspension?
HH-loudspeaker-parts.jpe

connected to
Connected how? Mechanically by perhaps a spot of glue to dust cover, or electrically by wiring to the terminals?

a function generator
An electronic one to force current through the voice coil?
Or a mechanical camshaft based one that'll physically move the suspension and coil back and forth?

and (to) an amplifier
To the amplifier's input or to its output?

, in order to play the signal
play = to reproduce it? As mechanical motion or as electrical voltage?

with the magnet only.
The magnet isn't going to play anything.

Please put some more thought into phrasing your question.
Then state it as a question, and the friendly folks here will try to help you figure it out.

Since you're into Schumann waves, why not build something to measure them ?

jim hardy said:

Lol :rofl:

jim hardy said:
Please put some more thought into phrasing your question.
Then state it as a question, and the friendly folks here will try to help you figure it out.
My plan is to reproduce a waveform thru a software, the audio output will go out of the soundcard to the input of a tripath audio amplifier, in order to be reproduced by a coneless speaker using banana plugs. I was wondering if a speaker voice coil would generate a magnetic field same as any coil ?

meBigGuy said:
The windings in a speaker voice coil will generate a magnetic field, same as any coil. The speaker coil is suspended near a permanant magnet, so it can move when the fields of the coil and magnet interact.
This answers my question. Thank you! :thumbs::smile:

jim hardy said:
As I am interested in measuring the effectiveness of a magnetic field on the brain I think I might need an EEG to collect data, and it seems like a DIY solution could cost more than an actual second hand device.

A normal coil picking up signals from the scalp would be too weak, and loads of filtering needed because of many muscles in the face area.

It's a bit of a grey area with contrasting experiences..hence why I'd love to do some experiment.

Only publication I've found it's over here about the 'God's Helmet' http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15849873

jim hardy said:
What is the question ? I got frustrated tying to figure that out.
I didn't mean to get people frustrated with my lack of technical language, thank you for your patience and inspiration! :smile:

A loudspeaker coil is not what you want if you want to produce varying magnetic fields. A voice coil is made specifically to operate in a strong magnetic field and uses the motor effect. It has a very few turns and is light enough for it vibrate and move the cone. You do not want this; you need to produce a decent field from your coil. You will need many turns of wire for this. When you have found out the sort of field you will need then you can start to specify the required system. Approaching this with random stuff, connected together, will not achieve anything but wasted time.
People are not frustrated by your lack of technical knowledge. They are frustrated because you are not asking answerable questions. In your last post you seem to be confusing the production and detection of magnetic fields. What is it you want to do, exactly?

Last edited:
I think I might need an EEG to collect data, and it seems like a DIY solution could cost more than an actual second hand device.

A friend of mine built one for high school science fair circa 1963, vacuum tube of course. It's a wonder we didn't hurt ourselves. He sensed signals on surface of scalp. At those low frequencies it takes a lot of flux to make voltage that's measureable with a reasonable sized sense coil so he went to direct contact. Besides, he thought brain waves express themselves as a voltage phenomenon not a magnetic one.
With today's micropower devices it'd be a lot more feasible.

I didn't mean to get people frustrated with my lack of technical language, thank you for your patience and inspiration!
That's the spirit. Ability to take criticism with grace indicates you're a man of distinction (to quote Peggy Lee.) Thanks in kind.

Yes you seem to be mixing concepts. That's what confused me, "Does he want to make a magnetic field or does he want to make voltage by moving a coil inside one?"
Your speaker idea is great for the latter but not i fear the former.

If you want to expose a brain to low frequency magnetic fields it seems to me you need to both create and measure such fields. Else you won't know what field you've made or what is background field from earth.

I suggest you study up on basics of magnetism
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/magnetic/magcon.html
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/magnetic/magfie.html#c1
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/magnetic/solenoid.html

Earth has an electric field, too ...
http://a-tech.net/ElectricFieldMill/

Last edited:
gaba said:
Hello everybody, I am trying to figure out how to build an electro magnetic generator.
Would it be the same thing?

Your previous thread on this topic was locked for a good reason:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=765148

This thread is closed as well. Check your PMs -- do not post about this again here.

What is an EMF generator from audio speaker?

An EMF generator from audio speaker is a device that converts sound waves into an electromagnetic field (EMF). This is achieved by using a coil of wire and a magnet within the speaker to create an alternating current, which in turn produces the EMF.

How does an EMF generator from audio speaker work?

The speaker's coil of wire is connected to an audio source, such as a music player or microphone. As the audio is played, the coil of wire moves back and forth, creating an alternating current. This current then produces an electromagnetic field around the speaker, which can be measured using an EMF meter.

What are the potential dangers of using an EMF generator from audio speaker?

EMF generators from audio speakers are generally considered safe for everyday use. However, prolonged exposure to high levels of EMF can potentially have negative health effects, such as headaches, fatigue, and dizziness. It is important to use these devices in moderation and to keep a safe distance from them.

What are the practical applications of an EMF generator from audio speaker?

EMF generators from audio speakers are commonly used in paranormal investigations to try and detect any fluctuations in the electromagnetic field, which could potentially indicate the presence of supernatural activity. They can also be used in scientific experiments to study the effects of electromagnetic fields on living organisms.

Are all audio speakers capable of functioning as EMF generators?

No, not all audio speakers are capable of functioning as EMF generators. The strength of the electromagnetic field produced depends on factors such as the size and type of speaker, the strength of the magnet, and the intensity of the sound being played. Some speakers may produce a very weak EMF, while others may not produce any measurable field at all.