Discovering the Mystery of Music from a D Battery and Steel Wire

In summary, the conversation discussed an interesting discovery made while tinkering with a battery, wire, and a music player. By connecting the wire to the contacts of the battery and then to the player, the music continued to play even with only one battery and the wire acting as a makeshift connection. The group then discussed possible explanations for this phenomenon, with some suggesting it could be due to magnetic fields while others believed it was a result of completing the circuit. The conversation concluded with encouragement to continue tinkering and experimenting to learn more.
Nivlac2425
Hey everyone,
I was tinkering with a battery, wire and such earlier, and I discovered something odd. :bugeye:

I had a steel? wire and I placed the ends onto the terminals of a D battery for a time, and obviously, it warmed up. But I also had a thing that played a recorded music track when two AA batteries were inserted; I only had one AA installed. I then placed the ends of the same steel wire onto the contacts of the player where the missing AA was to be.
The music continued to play! with only one battery and the wire that was previously in contact with the D battery.

Anyone have an idea why its doing that?
To provide energy for the player, the wire obviously needs to provide a voltage, and therefore current, of its own.
How did it acquire that from the D battery?

EDIT: Apparently, I observed the same thing from a wire that was never previously in contact with any energy source i.e. a battery.
Something to do with magnetic fields? =O

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm thinking that you probably just completed the circuit, the wire acted as a short.

Yeah I guess that's a better explanation for it, there was a reduced sound quality as well.

Thanks!

Try it with a wire that you didn't previously short a battery with. You'll find that the music will play. It doesn't need that exact voltage. There's no way to turn a length of wire into a voltage source. You could induce a charge, but that's not the same as making it have a voltage gain across the wire.

Keep tinkering! That's the way to do it!

What materials are needed for this experiment?

To discover the mystery of music from a D battery and steel wire, you will need a D battery, a few feet of steel wire, and a pair of wire cutters or scissors.

How does this experiment work?

The battery provides a source of electrical energy, which flows through the steel wire. As the wire is moved or plucked, it creates vibrations in the air, producing sound waves that we hear as music.

What are the factors that affect the sound produced?

The sound produced can be affected by the length, thickness, and tension of the wire. The type of battery used can also impact the sound, as well as the material the wire is made of.

Can this experiment be done with different types of batteries?

Yes, this experiment can be done with different types of batteries, such as AA or C batteries. However, the sound produced may vary depending on the voltage and size of the battery.

What other variations of this experiment can be done?

This experiment can be expanded by adding other materials, such as a paper cup or cardboard tube, to amplify the sound. It can also be done with multiple batteries and wires to create a simple electrical circuit and explore the principles of electricity and electromagnetism.