Understanding EM Spectrum: Emitting vs. Reflecting | IR Camera Examples

In summary: For example, if you shine a 7 micron IR light on a hot object, the 7 micron light will be more intense than the other Infrared wavelengths because the heat has raised the temperature of the object.
AkshayPitt
Hello,

I was wondering how one would be able to tell the difference between an object emitting a certain wavelength of the EM spectrum, vs. an object reflecting that same wavelength of the EM spectrum. For example:

1) Suppose I have an IR source at 7 microns. I point this source at water, and capture data via a mid IR camera. Water has great absorption at 7 microns, so I don't see a direct reflection of the source captured by the camera. However, I do see that the water is emitting IR at 7 microns after having absorbed most of this radiation from this source.

2) I point the same source at a sheet of polished steel. I capture the data via a mid IR camera again. Polished steel has very high reflectivity, so I see almost a direct reflection of the source captured by the camera.

Would the signal captured by the mid IR camera look different in the two cases above?

Thanks.

Science news on Phys.org
AkshayPitt said:
polished steel. I
"Specular reflection." You'll also want to look up "diffuse reflection" and "cosine scattering."

Thanks a lot for your response. After looking up those terms, I understand that specular reflection happens on smooth surfaces, and diffuse reflection happens on rough surfaces. What I am still confused about, however, is the difference (from the perspective of a camera) between emission and reflection. I'm not sure if I'm missing something, but to me it seems like the camera would see emission and reflection the same way.

Rather than taking the example of water and polished steel, let's say there are two pieces of polished steel. Assume one piece of steel was already hot before coming into the camera's vision - the camera would pick up the emission of infrared from this piece of steel. Imagine that the second piece of steel has infrared reflecting off of it - the camera would pick up the reflection of infrared off of this piece of steel. Would these two camera signals not look very similar?

In the case of a specular surface, reflected radiation will give you an image of the original source. and the radiation emitted by the reflecting surface can give you only an image of the emitting surface itself. There will be additional differences in wavelengths of maximum intensities if there are temperature differences between the surface and the source being reflected.

1. What is the electromagnetic (EM) spectrum?

The electromagnetic spectrum is the range of all types of electromagnetic radiation. It includes radio waves, microwaves, infrared radiation, visible light, ultraviolet radiation, X-rays, and gamma rays. These types of radiation have different wavelengths and frequencies, and can be emitted or reflected by various sources.

2. What is the difference between emitting and reflecting in the EM spectrum?

Emitting refers to the process of producing and releasing electromagnetic radiation from a source, such as a light bulb or a heat lamp. On the other hand, reflecting refers to the process of redirecting or bouncing off electromagnetic radiation from a surface, such as a mirror or a metal object. Both emitting and reflecting are important in understanding how the EM spectrum works.

3. How do IR cameras use the EM spectrum?

IR cameras use the infrared portion of the EM spectrum to capture images. They detect the heat emitted or reflected by objects and convert it into an image that can be seen by the human eye. This allows for non-invasive temperature measurements and can be useful in a variety of industries, including security, medical, and research.

4. What are some examples of IR camera applications?

IR cameras have a wide range of applications, including night vision in military operations, detecting heat loss in buildings, monitoring industrial processes, detecting hot spots in electrical equipment, and identifying temperature changes in the human body for medical diagnoses.

5. How does understanding the EM spectrum benefit society?

Understanding the EM spectrum allows us to use different types of radiation for various purposes. For example, radio waves are used for communication, visible light is essential for vision, and X-rays are used in medical imaging. It also helps us develop technologies, such as IR cameras, that improve our daily lives and advance scientific research in fields such as astronomy and medicine.