Empirical Formula of Unknown Alcohol

In summary, an unknown alcohol containing C, H, and O was analyzed by combustion. When a 1.50 gram sample of the compound was burned, 3.30g of CO2 and 1.80g of H20 were produced. The empirical formula of the compound was determined by finding the number of grams of Carbon and Hydrogen produced using their respective percentages and subtracting them from the total produced to get the number of grams of O in the original. However, this method may not be accurate as the combustion uses oxygen from air. Instead, dividing the weights of CO2 and H2O to find the number of moles of each in a 3:4 ratio can lead to the correct answer.
nate808
An unknown alcohol is analyzed by combustion. When a 1.50 gram sample of the compound (containing C, H, and O) is burned, 3.30g of CO2 and 1.80g of H20 are produced. Determine the empirical formula of the compound.

What I did was find the number of grams of Carbon and Hydrogen that are produced by using their respective percents. Then I subtracted those numbers from the total produced to get the number of grams of O in the original. I thought that the LCM(cons. of mass) allowed me to do this, but I don;'t think that it is right--can someone please help me figure out how to do this(BTW, the answer I got was C3H8O)

Chemistry news on Phys.org
I can't follow how you got the answer. And you certainly can't find the O in the hydrocarbon because the combustion uses oxygen from air, and you don't know how much of that is used.

Divide the weights of CO2 and H2O to find the number of moles of each. You'll find that these numbers are in the ratio 3:4. That will lead you to the answer.

Based on your calculations, it seems like you have correctly determined the empirical formula of the unknown alcohol to be C3H8O. The method you used, using the percent composition of each element to find the number of grams produced, is a valid approach to determining the empirical formula.

To confirm your answer, you can also use the concept of conservation of mass to double check your calculations. The law of conservation of mass states that matter cannot be created or destroyed, only transformed. This means that the total mass of the reactants (the unknown alcohol) must be equal to the total mass of the products (CO2 and H2O) in a chemical reaction.

In this case, you can add the masses of CO2 and H2O produced (3.30g + 1.80g = 5.10g) and compare it to the mass of the original sample (1.50g). If the masses are not equal, then there may be an error in your calculations. However, if they are equal, then your calculations are correct and the empirical formula of the unknown alcohol is indeed C3H8O.

Overall, it seems like you have successfully determined the empirical formula of the unknown alcohol using both the percent composition method and the concept of conservation of mass. Good job!

1. What is the empirical formula of an unknown alcohol?

The empirical formula of an unknown alcohol is the simplest whole number ratio of the elements present in the molecule. It is determined by analyzing the mass percent composition of the alcohol.

2. How is the empirical formula of an unknown alcohol determined?

The empirical formula of an unknown alcohol is determined by first finding the mass percent composition of each element present in the molecule. Then, these percentages are converted to moles and divided by the smallest number of moles to find the simplest whole number ratio.

3. Can the empirical formula of an unknown alcohol be the same as its molecular formula?

Yes, the empirical formula of an unknown alcohol can be the same as its molecular formula if the molecule contains only one type of element. However, if the molecule contains multiple elements, the empirical formula will always be a simplified version of the molecular formula.

4. How accurate is the empirical formula in identifying an unknown alcohol?

The empirical formula of an unknown alcohol can give a good indication of the elements present in the molecule, but it cannot provide information about the arrangement or structure of the atoms. This means that it may not be able to accurately identify the specific alcohol without additional analyses.

5. Can the empirical formula of an unknown alcohol change under different conditions?

Yes, the empirical formula of an unknown alcohol can change under different conditions if the molecule undergoes a chemical reaction that results in the rearrangement of atoms. This can also occur if the alcohol is in different physical states, such as gas or liquid, as the arrangement of atoms may change due to intermolecular forces.