Calculating Empirical Formula Using Molecular Mass

• Thread starter slikid
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Formula
In summary, the conversation is about determining the empirical formula of a compound with a molecular mass of 42. The speaker suggests that the compound could possibly be C3H6 or CH2, but acknowledges that there may be a more accurate method to determine this. They also mention that additional information, such as % composition or combustion products, could help narrow down the possibilities. The person seeking guidance thanks the speaker for their help.
slikid
i know I am not supposed to ask for an answer to a problem, but could someone tell how to go about this question, it should be simple i think..

The molecular mass of a compound of carbon and hydrogen is 42. What is the empirical formula of the compound?

i don't really know what i should do, and guidence would be very appreciated!

thanks,
Alex

Physics news on Phys.org
This may not be correct - I'm just giving you my best guess.

Since it gives you a compound, there will be whole numbers of C and H. By looking at it, you can figure out that there would be 3 C (3 * 12.01 = 36.03) and 6 H (1.008 * 6 = 6.048). 36.03 + 6.048 ~ 42.

Therefore, the molecular formula is C3H6, which would mean the empirical formula would be CH2.

If you follow the same idea, it could also be C2H18, which would give CH9, but C2H18 isn't a possible compound.

There's probably a better and more correct way of figuring this out, but I think that CH2 should be correct. I'm only in high school, so I'll let someone more experienced in chemistry help you out.

Last edited:
With the information given, that sounds good.
A lot of the time, you might be given an extra bit of information, like the % composition or the products formed after conbustion, to help eliminate some of the trial and error guess work.

CH2 is one of the answers so that is right i believe and your explanation makes sence. i don't like how you have to assume though with the given information, but thank you so much for the help!

1. What is an empirical formula?

An empirical formula is the simplest ratio of atoms present in a compound.

2. How is the empirical formula calculated?

The empirical formula is calculated by finding the mass of each element in a compound and dividing it by its molar mass. The resulting values are then divided by the smallest value to get the simplest ratio.

3. What is the difference between empirical formula and molecular formula?

The empirical formula shows the simplest ratio of elements in a compound, while the molecular formula shows the actual number of each type of atom present in a molecule.

4. Can a compound have the same empirical and molecular formula?

Yes, some compounds have a 1:1 ratio of elements, resulting in the same empirical and molecular formulas. For example, water has an empirical and molecular formula of H2O.

5. How is the empirical formula useful in chemistry?

The empirical formula is useful in determining the basic composition of a compound and can provide insight into its properties and behavior. It is also used in stoichiometry calculations to determine the amount of reactants and products in a chemical reaction.