Calculating Work Required to Empty a Tank of Beer

• Thread starter eumyang
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Beer Tank
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a cylindrical tank filled with beer and the work required to pump it out through a spout. The problem involves setting up an integral and the participants confirm that it has been set up correctly. The summary ends with a note of relief and gratitude from one of the participants.
eumyang
Homework Helper
So a cousin has asked me for Calculus help, but my Calculus is rusty. She's in Calculus II (of a 3-semester sequence in the US) and is on Work. I decided to make up a problem for her, but I want to make sure I know what I'm doing.

Homework Statement

A cylindrical tank (16 feet high with a radius of 4 feet) is half full of beer that weighs 63 pounds per cubic foot. Find the work requred to pump beer out through a spout in the top of the tank.

Homework Equations

[itex]W = {\int_a}^b F(x) dx[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I just would like to know if I had set up the integral right.

The volume of a disk of beer would be [itex]\pi \cdot 4^2 \Delta\ y[/itex]
The weight of a disk of beer would be [itex]63 \cdot 16\pi \Delta y = 1008\pi \Delta y[/itex]
The distance to move a disk of beer to the top would be [itex]16 - y[/itex]

[itex]W = {\int_0}^8 1008\pi (16 - y) dy[/itex]
Is the integral this? Seems too simple. If so, I can take it from here.

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
That looks good to me.

Whew! Glad I'm not totally out of it. Thanks.

1. How long does it take to empty a tank of beer?

The time it takes to empty a tank of beer depends on several factors, such as the size of the tank, the pressure at which the beer is dispensed, and the diameter of the outlet valve. On average, it can take anywhere from 30 minutes to 2 hours.

2. Is it better to empty a tank of beer slowly or quickly?

It is generally better to empty a tank of beer slowly to avoid excessive foaming and loss of carbonation. Slowly releasing the pressure from the tank allows the beer to flow smoothly and results in a better pour.

3. What is the best method for emptying a tank of beer?

The best method for emptying a tank of beer is by using a pressure regulator. This allows for a controlled release of pressure and a steady flow of beer without excessive foaming. It is also important to use a clean and properly maintained outlet valve to ensure the beer is not contaminated during the emptying process.

4. Can you empty a tank of beer completely?

No, it is not possible to completely empty a tank of beer. There will always be a small amount of liquid and sediment remaining at the bottom of the tank. It is important to leave this behind to avoid contamination and maintain the quality of the remaining beer.

5. How should the remaining beer in the tank be handled?

The remaining beer in the tank should be handled carefully and stored properly to maintain its quality. It is recommended to use a clean and sanitized container to transfer the remaining beer into and store it in a cool and dark place to prevent any further fermentation or spoilage.