Energy Balance of Beta+ Decay of $^{22}_{11}Na$

In summary, the conversation discusses the energy balance at the decay of a beta + deca process involving the isotopes sodium-22 and neon-22. It is mentioned that neon-22 in an excited state has 1.25 MeV more energy than its ground state. The attempt at a solution involves using the mass-energy equivalence equation and accounting for the additional energy on the right side. However, it is unclear how to accurately take into account the excited state of neon-22.
skrat

Homework Statement

If we have a beta + deca: $$^{22}_{11}Na(3^+)\rightarrow ^{22}_{10}Ne(2^+)+ e^+ +\nu $$ with $t_{1/2}=2.6 years$, what is the energy balance at this decay, if you know that $^{22}_{10}Ne(2^+)$ is an excited state of $^{22}_{10}Ne$ with $1.25 MeV$ larger energy.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok, I don't know how to take into account that $^{22}_{10}Ne(2^+)$ is not ground state.

I tried like this:

$(m(Na)-m(Ne))c^2- \Delta E=-1.2MeV$ which is a complete nonsense.. Now I don't get it what am I doing wrong?

I used this: http://www.science.co.il/PTelements.asp

Physics news on Phys.org
The right side has 1.25 MeV more energy than you would expect. Nothing magical. You would get the same result if the right side would have an additional particle with an energy of 1.25 MeV.

So...

##E=m(Na) c^2-m(Ne)c^2-m_ec^2-\Delta E##

or?

If you define ##\Delta E## to be 1.25 MeV, yes.

Likes skrat

Related to Energy Balance of Beta+ Decay of $^{22}_{11}Na$

1. What is the energy balance of beta+ decay of $^{22}_{11}Na$?

The energy balance of beta+ decay of $^{22}_{11}Na$ refers to the difference in energy between the parent nucleus ($^{22}_{11}Na$) and the daughter nucleus ($^{22}_{10}Ne$) after the decay process. This energy difference is equal to the mass defect of the parent nucleus, which is released in the form of a positron (e+) and a neutrino (ν).

2. How is energy conserved in beta+ decay of $^{22}_{11}Na$?

In beta+ decay of $^{22}_{11}Na$, energy is conserved through the conversion of a proton into a neutron, releasing a positron and a neutrino. This process results in a decrease in the mass of the nucleus, and the released energy is carried away by the positron and the neutrino.

3. What is the role of the weak nuclear force in beta+ decay of $^{22}_{11}Na$?

The weak nuclear force is responsible for the transformation of a proton into a neutron in beta+ decay of $^{22}_{11}Na$. This force is one of the four fundamental forces of nature and is responsible for the decay of subatomic particles.

4. How does the energy balance of beta+ decay of $^{22}_{11}Na$ affect the stability of the nucleus?

The energy balance of beta+ decay of $^{22}_{11}Na$ plays a crucial role in determining the stability of the nucleus. If the energy released in the decay process is too high, it can destabilize the nucleus, leading to further decay. However, if the energy released is balanced, the nucleus can remain stable.

5. Can the energy balance of beta+ decay of $^{22}_{11}Na$ be used to create energy?

The energy released in beta+ decay of $^{22}_{11}Na$ can be used to create energy through nuclear reactions. These reactions involve bombarding the parent nucleus with particles to induce decay and release energy. However, this process is not currently used as a source of energy due to its high cost and potential dangers.