Energy conservation in interference phenomenon

In summary, two waves that are moving in opposite directions will eventually overlap and create a straight line. The energy of the two waves is stored as the potential energy of the string.
anjor
If on a taut string, we have a wave pulse traveling in the positive x direction with an amplitude A... simultaneously, from the other end we have a wave pulse traveling in the negative x direction with amplitude -A (i.e., it is faced downwards)
At a certain time t, they will superimpose upon each other, and if we take a photograph at that time, we will see a straight string, with no wave pulses in it.
What has happened to the energy of the two wave pulses? where did it go?

Science news on Phys.org
Where does energy go when you compress a spring? Does it magically disappear?

anjor said:
If on a taut string, we have a wave pulse traveling in the positive x direction with an amplitude A... simultaneously, from the other end we have a wave pulse traveling in the negative x direction with amplitude -A (i.e., it is faced downwards)
At a certain time t, they will superimpose upon each other, and if we take a photograph at that time, we will see a straight string, with no wave pulses in it.
What has happened to the energy of the two wave pulses? where did it go?
Be careful! When the string is flat (no amplitude) is it stopped? Are you saying it has no energy because it has no amplitude?

AM

when the string is compressed, the energy is stored as the potential energy of the string.
Andrew,
i know... rather feel that there is something wrong in that statement, however i am not being able to explain it mathematically... could you please elaborate? The only force acting in this system is tension... the energy is stored as the potential energy of "tension"? then.. is the tension in the flat portion of the string different?

anjor said:
when the string is compressed, the energy is stored as the potential energy of the string.
Andrew,
i know... rather feel that there is something wrong in that statement, however i am not being able to explain it mathematically... could you please elaborate? The only force acting in this system is tension... the energy is stored as the potential energy of "tension"? then.. is the tension in the flat portion of the string different?

The better analogy is to consider a mass attached to an oscillating spring at the instant it is at the equilibrium position. The spring is not compressed nor stretched so it doesn't store any potential energy. Where is the energy? The answer if obvious, right? The mass has (maximum) kinetic energy at that instant. The same thing with the string.
I am pretty confident this is what Andrew Mason had in mind with his comment.

Patrick

Patrick

There is a terrific article in AJP a couple of years ago on this issue. You may want to look at it.

N. Gauthier "What happens to energy and momentum when two oppositely-moving wave pulses overlap?", Am. J. Phys. v.71, p.787 (2003).

Don't miss the followup comment by D. Rowland that corrected the treatment on longitudinal wave.

D.R. Rowland, Am. J. Phys. v.72, p.1425 (2004).

Zz.

1. What is energy conservation in interference phenomenon?

Energy conservation in interference phenomenon refers to the principle that the total energy of a system remains constant during an interference process. This means that the energy of the incoming waves is equal to the energy of the resulting waves after interference.

2. Why is energy conservation important in interference phenomenon?

Energy conservation is important because it ensures that energy is not lost or gained during interference, which would violate the law of conservation of energy. It also helps to accurately predict the resulting intensity of the interference pattern.

3. How does energy conservation affect the intensity of an interference pattern?

According to the law of energy conservation, the total energy of the incoming waves is equal to the total energy of the resulting waves. This means that the intensity of the interference pattern will also remain constant, as intensity is directly proportional to energy.

4. Can energy be completely conserved in interference phenomenon?

In theory, yes, energy can be completely conserved in interference phenomenon. However, in real-world scenarios, there may be some energy loss due to factors such as absorption or scattering. In these cases, the law of energy conservation still holds true, but the total energy may not be completely conserved.

5. How does energy conservation impact real-life applications of interference phenomenon?

Energy conservation is essential in real-life applications of interference phenomenon, such as in optics and acoustics. It helps to ensure the accuracy of measurements and predictions, and is also crucial for energy-efficient design in technologies such as solar panels and anti-reflective coatings.