Energy consumption for cooling and average temperature

In summary, the conversation discusses the potential energy usage of an air conditioner in two different scenarios - a constant ambient temperature of 78 degrees versus a fluctuating temperature ranging from the 90s to 60s. It is acknowledged that there are variables and unknown factors, but the general consensus is that the air conditioner would consume more energy in the scenario with a larger temperature difference. However, the shape of the efficiency curve of the AC unit also plays a role and can affect the overall energy usage. Overall, the question cannot be definitively answered due to undefined terms and variables.
chriso
Good Morning,

First, let me preface my question by stating that I do not have a background in physics so my question my or may not be ignorant. I simply have a curiosity and I am having trouble finding any results.

My question is regarding air conditioners and cooling energy usage. Given an environment where humidity was not a factor, if ambient air temperature was a constant 78 degrees 24 hours a day for 30 days, and the indoor air conditioner was temperature was set to 74, would the same energy be consumed by the air conditioner as another 30 day period with an average temperature of 78 where the temperature fluctuated from the 90's to 60's causing the unit to work harder some of the time, and not at all during other times? This may not be enough information and again I am only looking for a general direction on how to come to a conclusion that can be defensible.

Thanks!

Science news on Phys.org
Greetings
you're right that it is difficult to be exact with such variables, and some not defined, but imho we only need consider the nature of heat loss (change) between an internal and an external environment. At 90 degrees the Delta T between the internals of the house and the outside is 12 degrees. while at a constant 78 the Delta T is only 4 degrees. If you think of it like filling a tub with the drain uncorked perhaps it will make more sense since at some point the "water" introduced is equal to or less than the "water" leaving and the tub will not fill.

The drain size is the key and in cooling that drain is Delta T and the insulation between the two.

If the temperature is in the 60s, is the unit in heating mode?

In general, an air conditioner is more efficient at a lower temperature difference. If you are suggesting equal total amounts of cooling, the answer to your question still will depend on the shape of the efficiency curve of your AC unit. It will be close to equal though.

I think it is being forgotten that we are not cooling (or heating) the outside temperature directly. We are cooling an internal environment that at least in the real world has insulation. If that insulation were extreme the temperature inside would rarely change at all due to outside temperatures. I have seen hi efficiency homes in which the heat from human bodies and running appliances was far more important a factor than outside temps. This is what I meant by undefined terms. The question/problem as posed cannot be answered definitively.

Hello,

Thank you for your question. I can provide some insight into this topic for you. First, let me clarify that in order to accurately compare energy consumption, we would need to know the specific model and efficiency of the air conditioner in question. However, I can provide some general information that may help guide your understanding.

In a scenario where the ambient air temperature is a constant 78 degrees and the indoor air conditioner is set to 74, the unit would likely consume less energy compared to a scenario where the average temperature is 78, but fluctuates between the 90s and 60s. This is because the air conditioner would have to work harder in the latter scenario to maintain the desired temperature, as it is constantly battling against external temperature changes.

To understand this further, we need to consider the concept of thermal equilibrium. In a stable environment with a constant temperature, the air conditioner only needs to work to maintain the desired temperature. However, in a fluctuating environment, the air conditioner must also compensate for external temperature changes, which requires more energy.

It is also worth noting that humidity can also play a role in energy consumption for cooling. In a humid environment, the air conditioner would need to work harder to remove moisture from the air in addition to cooling it. Therefore, in a scenario where humidity is not a factor, the energy consumption may be slightly lower.

In conclusion, based on the information provided, it is likely that the air conditioner would consume less energy in a stable environment with a constant temperature compared to a fluctuating environment with the same average temperature. However, as mentioned earlier, this can vary depending on the specific model and efficiency of the air conditioner. I hope this helps guide your understanding.

1. What is the impact of energy consumption for cooling on the environment?

The energy consumption for cooling has a significant impact on the environment. The use of fossil fuels to generate electricity for cooling systems releases carbon dioxide into the atmosphere, contributing to climate change. Additionally, the extraction and transportation of these fuels also have negative impacts on the environment. It is crucial to reduce energy consumption for cooling to mitigate these effects.

2. How does the average temperature affect energy consumption for cooling?

The average temperature directly affects energy consumption for cooling. When the temperature is higher, cooling systems have to work harder to maintain a comfortable indoor temperature, resulting in higher energy consumption. In contrast, lower average temperatures require less energy for cooling. Therefore, regions with higher average temperatures typically have higher energy consumption for cooling.

3. What are some ways to reduce energy consumption for cooling?

There are several ways to reduce energy consumption for cooling, including using energy-efficient cooling systems, such as ENERGY STAR certified units, properly insulating buildings, using natural ventilation and shading techniques, and implementing energy-saving habits, like turning off cooling systems when not in use and keeping doors and windows closed. Regular maintenance of cooling systems also helps to improve their efficiency and reduce energy consumption.

4. How does energy consumption for cooling vary between different types of buildings?

The energy consumption for cooling can vary significantly between different types of buildings. Commercial buildings, such as offices and retail spaces, tend to have higher energy consumption for cooling than residential buildings due to their larger size and higher occupancy. Industrial buildings, on the other hand, may have lower cooling energy consumption due to their specific heating and cooling needs and specialized cooling systems.

5. What role do building materials play in energy consumption for cooling?

Building materials play a crucial role in energy consumption for cooling. Materials with high thermal mass, such as concrete and brick, can help regulate indoor temperatures by absorbing and releasing heat slowly. This reduces the need for cooling systems to work as hard, resulting in lower energy consumption. In contrast, materials with low thermal mass, like wood and drywall, may require more energy for cooling as they do not have the same heat-regulating properties.