1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Energy in an ocean current vs energy in an air current

1. Nov 19, 2005 #1
    This isn't actually a homework question, but it does relate to a research project I'm doing relating to wind/ocean turbines. What I'd like to be able to do is state that:
    There is as much energy in an ocean current moving at "X" knots as there is in an air current moving at "Y" kph.
    I tried using P=1/2(ryo)(v^3)(pi)(r^2), where P is the power produced by the turbine, ryo is the density, v is the velocity, and r is the radius of the turbine.
    Assuming P is equal in either case, I set the equations (one of water, one for air) equal to each other. I also assumed r was equal in either case, so r, pi, and 1/2 cancel, leaving:
    (ryo_water)(v_water^3)=(ryo_air)(v_air^3)
    Using:
    ryo_air = 1.275kg/m^3
    ryo_water = 1025kg/m^3 (seawater)
    I end up with v_water = 0.1075(v_air)
    So if I have my conversions right an 8 knot current would have as much energy as a 137.8kph wind. This seems reasonable to me, but it is very low compared to data I can find on the net.
    Do anyone have any insight on this? Thanks in advance!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 19, 2005 #2

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Considering mass flow rate as [itex]\rho[/itex]VA and the specific kinetic energy as V2/2, and the same turbine area, the numbers seem about right.

What number is considered low?

4. Nov 19, 2005 #3
    I think it's low because of info found here.
    To quote them: "Sea water is 832 times denser than air and a non-compressible medium, an 8 knot tidal current is the equivalent of a 390 km/hr wind."

5. Nov 19, 2005 #4

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Don't confuse energy with power.

6. Nov 19, 2005 #5

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

well if one uses the relationship - (ryo_water)(v_water^2)=(ryo_air)(v_air^2), then one would get closer to 390 km/h.

However, using 8 knots = 14.8 km/h and the ratio of densities of seawater to air = 832, I get more like 426 km/h for the wind speed.

I'd have to give this more thought.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?