How Does Voltage Variation Affect Power in a 100-W Heater?

In summary, the problem involves a 100-W heater designed for a 120V voltage and the task is to find its resistance and current. Part b) asks to show that the change in power is proportional to the change in voltage, assuming constant resistance. Part c) then asks to use the result from part b) to approximate the power delivered to the heater when the voltage is decreased to 115V and compare it to the exact answer. The key to solving this problem is to approximate the changes using differentials and assume constant resistance.
LeakyFrog

Homework Statement

A 100-W heater is designed to operate with an applied
voltage of 120V.

a) What is the heater's resistance, and what current does the heater carry?

b) Show that if the potential difference V across the heater changes by a small
amount ΔV, the power P changes by a small amount ΔP, where ΔP/P = 2ΔV/V. (Hint:
Approximate the changes by modeling them as differentials, and assume the
resistance is constant.

c) Using the part b result, find the approximate power delivered to the heater
if the potential difference is decreased to 115V. Compare your result to the
exact answer.

Homework Equations

P = IV = V2/R

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm stuck on part b). So far I have
ΔP=ΔV2/R

ΔP/P=(ΔV/V)2

I'm not really sure what to do.

Physics news on Phys.org
The change of a function f(x) can be approximated by Δf=f'(x)Δx, where f' is the derivative of f(x) taken at the original value of x, and Δx is a small change of x.

ehild

Thanks.

Another question, for part c) when you change the voltage on a circuit does the resistance stay the same? Or the current? Although I don't really see how the current could but maybe i suppose.

The heater stays the same, isn't it? And it consist of a resistor, and some other parts which do not change either, if you plug it into an other socket or the household voltage decreases because of some overload happening in the network.
Question c. wants you to apply the formula in question b, if V and ΔV are given.

ehild

Great job so far! To solve part b), let's start by writing out the equation for power, which is P = IV. We can also substitute in the equation V = IR, which gives us P = I(IR) = I2R. Now, let's take the differential of both sides of this equation:

dP = 2IRdI + I2dR

Since we are assuming that the resistance is constant, dR = 0, so this term disappears. We are left with:

dP = 2IRdI

Now, we can use Ohm's Law (V = IR) to substitute in for I:

dP = 2VdI/R

Finally, we can divide both sides by P to get the desired result:

ΔP/P = 2ΔV/V

This shows that the change in power is directly proportional to the change in voltage, with a factor of 2. This makes sense, since power is also equal to V2/R, and we can see that a small change in V will result in a larger change in V2.

For part c), we can use the equation we just derived to find the approximate power delivered to the heater if V is decreased to 115V. We know that the original power was 100W, so we can set up the following equation:

ΔP/P = 2ΔV/V

We can rearrange this to solve for ΔP:

ΔP = 2ΔV/V * P

Substituting in the values given in the problem, we get:

ΔP = 2(120-115)/120 * 100 = 8.33W

This means that if the potential difference is decreased to 115V, the power delivered to the heater will decrease by approximately 8.33W. To find the exact answer, we can use the original equation for power (P = V2/R) and substitute in the new voltage of 115V:

P = (115)2/R = 100W

We can see that the exact answer matches our approximate result, which confirms the accuracy of our calculation. Great work!

Related to How Does Voltage Variation Affect Power in a 100-W Heater?

1. What is electric energy?

Electric energy is the energy that is carried by electric charges as they flow through a circuit. It is the result of the movement of electrons from a higher potential to a lower potential.

2. What is the difference between electric energy and electric power?

Electric energy is the total amount of energy transferred by electric charges, while electric power is the rate at which that energy is transferred. Power is measured in watts (W) and energy is measured in joules (J).

3. How is electric energy measured in a circuit?

Electric energy is measured using a device called an energy meter, which measures the amount of electrical energy consumed by a circuit over a period of time. The unit of measurement for electric energy is the kilowatt-hour (kWh).

4. What factors affect the amount of electric energy in a circuit?

The amount of electric energy in a circuit is affected by the voltage, current, and resistance in the circuit. A higher voltage or current will result in more energy being transferred, while a higher resistance will result in less energy being transferred.

5. How can electric energy be conserved in a circuit?

Electric energy can be conserved in a circuit by using more efficient components, reducing the length of the circuit, and minimizing the amount of energy lost as heat. Additionally, turning off devices when they are not in use can also help conserve electric energy.