How Can the Bohr Radius Help Calculate Energy Levels in Hydrogen?

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of deriving the energy of each orbit level for hydrogen using Coulomb's law and Newtonian mechanics. The formula E = -\frac{13.6eV}{n^{2}} is used, with the Bohr radius and Coulomb potential being important factors. The conversation ends with a suggestion to calculate the kinetic energy of the electron and the integration constant for a better understanding.
mIKEjONES
I'm currently reading a book which says that by knowing by the Bohr radius, in this example that of hydrogren, the energy of each orbit level can be calculated by deriving the appropriate Rydberg formula constant using Coulomb's law and Newtonian mechanics.

Following their description I tried deriving the energy possessed by each orbit level for hydrogen, my final solution should then be [tex]E = -\frac{13.6eV}{n^{2}}[/tex] (E here is energy expressed in eV)
knowing the Bohr radius of hydrogen, the radius in terms of the energy level is
[tex]r=n^{2} a_0[/tex], where [tex]a_0 = 5.29*10^{-11} m[/tex] .

I then substituted r into Coulomb's law
[tex]F = {1 \over 4\pi\varepsilon_0}\frac{q_1 * q_2}{r^2}= 9*10^9 mF^{-1} * {1.60217646*10^{-19}C * -1.60217646*10^{-19}C \over \left(n^{2} * 5.29*10^{-11} m)^2[/tex]

After not really having accomplished much, I don't know how to proceed. Any suggestions, explanations are welcome.

Thank you :)

Physics news on Phys.org
The Coulomb Force field is conservative (no curl no dependence on t) thus there is a potential [tex]V(r) \propto - \frac{1}{r}[/tex] that you receive from integration. The Energy of an electron is the energy it needs to escape from the nucleus. If I were you I would calculate the Coulomb potential, plug in the radius which should give you a value for V(r). But Energy is potential plus kinetic energy (E = T + V) so you calculate the kinetic energy T from the speed of the electron. When the electron has escaped the energy is zero T+V=0, by definition of our integration constant.
Have fun!

Last edited:

I can confirm that the approach you are using to calculate the energy levels of hydrogen is correct. By using Coulomb's law and Newtonian mechanics, you can derive the Rydberg formula constant and then use it to calculate the energy levels of hydrogen. However, I understand that you may be struggling with the calculation and may need some guidance.

Firstly, it is important to note that the negative sign in the formula for energy (E = -13.6eV/n^2) indicates that the energy is bound and the electron is in a stable orbit. This is because the electron is attracted to the positively charged nucleus and therefore has a negative potential energy.

To proceed with your calculation, you can use the equation for force (F) in terms of Coulomb's law and the formula for the radius in terms of the energy level (r = n^2a_0). This will give you the force experienced by the electron at each energy level.

Next, you can use the definition of work (W) which is equal to the force (F) multiplied by the distance (r). In this case, the distance is the radius of the orbit (r = n^2a_0). This will give you the work done by the force at each energy level.

Finally, you can use the formula for energy (E) which is equal to the work (W) divided by the charge of the electron (e). This will give you the energy at each energy level, which can then be expressed in terms of eV.

I hope this helps. Keep in mind that these calculations can be complex and may require multiple steps. If you need further assistance, don't hesitate to consult a textbook or seek guidance from a fellow scientist. Good luck with your calculations!

1. What is the purpose of energy level calculation?

Energy level calculation is used to determine the energy states of a system, such as atoms or molecules, based on their electronic configurations. It helps to understand the stability, reactivity, and other properties of a system.

2. How is energy level calculation performed?

Energy level calculation involves solving the Schrödinger equation, which describes the behavior of quantum particles like electrons. This can be done using various mathematical methods, such as the Hartree-Fock method or density functional theory.

3. What factors affect the energy levels of a system?

The energy levels of a system are influenced by factors such as the number of electrons, their relative positions, and the strength of the forces between them. External factors like temperature and pressure can also impact energy levels.

4. How are energy levels represented in energy level diagrams?

Energy levels are typically represented as horizontal lines in an energy level diagram, with the lowest energy level at the bottom and higher energy levels above. The spacing between energy levels reflects the amount of energy needed to transition between them.

5. What are the applications of energy level calculation?

Energy level calculation has many practical applications, including in the study of chemical reactions, material properties, and electronic devices. It is also crucial in fields such as quantum mechanics, spectroscopy, and computational chemistry.