1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Energy levels in Hydrogen - derivation

1. Dec 6, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    We know that:

[tex]E=<\psi|H|\psi>[/tex]

where
    [tex]H=-\frac{\hbar^2}{2m} \nabla^2 - \frac{Ze^2}{4\pi\epsilon_0 r}[/tex]
    and
    [tex]\psi=R(r)Y(\theta, \phi)[/tex]
    with
    [itex]R(r)=\frac{1}{\sqrt{(2n)!}}(\frac{2Z}{na_0})^{3/2}\left(\frac{2Zr}{na_0}\right)^{n-1}e^{-Zr/na_0}[/itex]
    If I want to find the energy, do I just evaluate this integral over all space? I started doing it, but it becomes very untidy at a point - I just wanted to ask if this is the method.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 6, 2011 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Mod Note: moved to advanced physics. Please post such a question in that forum.

4. Dec 6, 2011 #3

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Essentially yes. However, there are shortcuts you can take to evaluate expectation values of the Hamiltonian. Is psi in an eigenstate (discrete portion of the spectrum), no integral necessary. Likewise for a weighted sum of eigenstates.

5. Dec 6, 2011 #4
    Psi is a wavefunction, and an eigenstate - but I believe it has to be an integral. However, can you tell me what these shortcuts are?

6. Dec 6, 2011 #5

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Tabulated (as a result of integrations on which you needn't worry) values for

[tex]\langle nlm |\frac{1}{r} | nlm \rangle [/tex]

(nlm are eigenvectors of the Hamiltonian) exist and ease your work.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2011
  7. Dec 7, 2011 #6
    I know these values - for inverse 1st, 2nd and 3rd powers - my concern is the first term - the one involving the differential - it is going to produce 2 integrals on its own.

8. Dec 7, 2011 #7
    NO, this is most definitely not the standard method. Do you know what eigenvalues and eigenfunctions are?

9. Dec 7, 2011 #8
    Yes, I do ofc. I know how to find the energy by requiring the raising operator to terminate the circular orbit wavefunction, I was just wondering is you can do it by directly evaluating this integral.

10. Dec 7, 2011 #9
    This is surely not the standard way. Please do demonstrate.

11. Dec 7, 2011 #10

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

So what specifically is the problem? These aren't particularly tricky integrals. They're straightforward but tedious. Show us what you've done so far.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook