How much energy is lost due to friction?

In summary, the problem involves a team of dogs dragging a sled over a horizontal surface at a constant speed. The work done by the dogs is calculated to be 265.982976 kJ. The energy lost due to friction is found by subtracting the work done by the dogs from the energy without friction, which is 1879.041 kJ. The energy lost goes towards increasing the thermal energy of the snow. There is no specific formula for finding the energy lost due to friction, but it can be calculated by considering the initial and final energy states of the system.
GiantSheeps

Homework Statement

A team of dogs drags a 114 kg sled 1.92 km over a horizontal surface at a constant speed. The coefficient of friction between the sled and the snow is 0.124. The acceleration of gravity is 9.8 m/s 2 . Find the work done by the dogs.

Answer in units of kJ.

Find the energy lost due to friction. Answer in units of kJ.

Homework Equations

I don't know, I think that might be part of my problem

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
For the first one, I did 114 x 9.8 x 1.92 x 0.124 to get 265.982976, which was correct

but for the second part, I tried to do 114 x 9.8 x 1.92 to get 2145.024, which would be the energy with no friction, right? Then I subtracted the energy with friction from the energy without friction to get 1879.041, but that was wrong. What am I doing wrong? Wouldn't it make sense that you could find energy lost like this? Is there a formula?

Physics news on Phys.org
GiantSheeps said:
Find the work done by the dogs.

Answer in units of kJ.

Find the energy lost due to friction. Answer in units of kJ.
You calculated the work done by the dogs. Where has that work gone? PE? KE? Anywhere else?

Likes GiantSheeps
Wouldn't it all have gone to KE?

GiantSheeps said:
Wouldn't it all have gone to KE?
Sorry if I'm completely missing your point, I missed the class where they talked about this so I'm a bit lost

GiantSheeps said:
Sorry if I'm completely missing your point, I missed the class where they talked about this so I'm a bit lost
How do you assess change in KE?

Likes GiantSheeps
haruspex said:
How do you assess change in KE?

I know that the kinetic energy formula is 1/2mv^2, so to find change in KE I would just use that formula to get the KE and subtract final KE from initial KE

GiantSheeps said:
I know that the kinetic energy formula is 1/2mv^2, so to find change in KE I would just use that formula to get the KE and subtract final KE from initial KE
Right. Is the speed changing?

Likes GiantSheeps
no, the speed is constant

GiantSheeps said:
no, the speed is constant
that wouldn't make the answer 0, would it?

GiantSheeps said:
that wouldn't make the answer 0, would it?
it isn't, can I have another clue, please?

What is the change in energy of the sled?

Likes GiantSheeps
Wouldn't it also be 0? Becasue the sled is attached to the dogs

So if the sled didn't gain any energy, what happened to the energy (from the work done by the dogs) from part one?

Likes GiantSheeps
It became friction energy?

GiantSheeps said:
does that even make sense?

GiantSheeps said:
Right.
Well... more correctly, you should say something like, "it was lost through friction." But you have the right idea.

It wouldn't be called "friction energy", it would be in the form of "thermal energy" (because the snow would be a bit warmer).

GiantSheeps said:
does that even make sense?
Haha, not exactly, but you have the right idea.

Likes GiantSheeps
Nathanael said:
Right.
Well... more correctly, you should say something like, "it was lost through friction." But you have the right idea.

It wouldn't be called "friction energy", it would be in the form of "thermal energy" (because the snow would be a bit warmer).Haha, not exactly, but you have the right idea.
Okay I think I'm starting to get it, all of the energy has to go somewhere, so in this case it all became thermal energy

YES! Thank you so much!

Wait, but that still doesn't answer the amount of energy lost! What's the formula?

you don't need a formula for this one
Sl0nimski said:
Wait, but that still doesn't answer the amount of energy lost! What's the formula?

Likes SammyS

1. What is "energy lost due to friction"?

Energy lost due to friction is the energy that is converted into heat when two surfaces rub against each other. It is a result of the resistance of motion between the two surfaces.

2. How does friction cause energy to be lost?

Friction is a non-conservative force, meaning that it dissipates energy rather than conserving it. When two surfaces rub against each other, the irregularities on the surfaces create resistance, which converts the kinetic energy of the moving object into heat energy.

3. Why is energy lost due to friction important to consider?

Energy lost due to friction can have a significant impact on the efficiency and performance of machines and devices. It can also affect the wear and tear of materials and the amount of force needed to overcome friction.

4. Can energy lost due to friction be minimized or eliminated?

While it is not possible to completely eliminate friction, it can be reduced through various techniques such as lubrication, using smoother surfaces, and reducing the weight of the objects in contact.

5. How is energy lost due to friction calculated?

The amount of energy lost due to friction can be calculated by multiplying the coefficient of friction (a measure of the amount of resistance) by the normal force (the force pressing the two surfaces together) and the distance over which the force is applied.