1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Energy of Oscillations

1. Sep 24, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A string of length L is clamped at both ends, pulled up a distance h with tension T. What is the energy of the subsequent oscillations after plucking. [Hint, consider the work done against the tension in giving the string its initial deformation]

2. Relevant equations
    E=K+U

3. The attempt at a solution
    I'm not completly sure if my answer is correct or not, so if anyone can help me check it I would greatly appreciate it. I also just scanned my work because I'm not that great at using the forums latex commands.

http://img242.imageshack.us/img242/1155/cci24092009800000i.jpg [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 24, 2009 #2

turin

Homework Helper

That seems to be correct.

In order to use the hint, you first need to figure out what is the force required to hold the string at a (small) displacement y (using small angle approximations). Then, the work is the integral of this force from y=0 to y=h. Doing this, you will get the same answer.

BTW, good job with all those pesky factors of 2. I always screw those up.

4. Sep 24, 2009 #3
    yeah those factors of 2 tricked me up for a while too. Thanks for the help, its much appreciated.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook