Solve "Energy with Friction Homework

In summary, the object slides to the left on a surface with a coefficient of friction of 0.250 and a speed of v_i = 3.00 m/s. The object comes to rest (briefly) after the spring has been compressed a distance d. The object is then forced towards the right by the spring and continues to move in that direction beyond the spring's uncompressed position, finally coming to a rest a distance D to the right of the unstretched spring.
BrianSauce

Homework Statement

A 1.20 kg object slides to the left on a surface having a coefficient of friction of 0.250. The object has a speed of v_i = 3.00 m/s when it makes contact with a light spring that has a force constant of 60.0 N/m. The object comes to rest (briefly) after the spring has been compressed a distance d. The object is then forced towards the right by the spring and continues to move in that direction beyond the spring's uncompressed position, finally coming to a rest a distance D to the right of the unstretched spring. Find:
A) The distance of compression d.
B) The speed v at which the object is moving when it reaches the uncompressed position of the spring after compressing the spring.
C) The distance D at which the object comes to a rest.

Homework Equations

ΔKE + ΔUg + ΔUe + fkd = Fexternald

The Attempt at a Solution

I split this into two parts. Part I that includes the compression of the spring until the object is at rest, and Part II that includes the part where the object is launched from the compressed spring.

In part one I said that the Kinetic Energy initially is 1/2 mv^2 and the Kinetic Energy final is 0 because the object comes to a rest. The Elastic Potential energy initially is 0 and the Elastic Potential energy is 1/2 k*Δx^2

My energy equation was 1/2mv^2 - μkmgΔx=1/2kΔx^2

I don't know if setting this equation up is correct and I'm not sure if the distance I should use for the frictional force is Δx or some other arbitrary number.

Physics news on Phys.org
The setup for part I looks entirely correct.

Yes, as the spring is being compressed, energy is lost to friction and the amount lost will be given by the frictional force times Δx.

How should I go about solving for Δx? I get a weird polynomial where I get multiple answers for Δx.
Should I set up some kind of work-Force relationship?

The equation is quadratic in Δx. If you replace "Δx" with the more familiar symbol "x", can you arrange the equation into the standard form for a quadratic equation and apply the quadratic formula?

Edit (addition):

It can often be the case that a problem will result in a quadratic formula that offers two answers. In the usual case, one of those answers will be obviously non-physical. For instance, the result may be negative

Without having worked out the details, I would confidently expect the spurious result for delta x in this case to be negative.

I'm currently doing that, the only problem I'm now having is that this isn't the first time I've had to apply the quadratic formula during homework or an exam and never know whether or not I'm supposed to use -b - √b2-4ac or -b + √b2-4ac

BrianSauce said:
I'm currently doing that, the only problem I'm now having is that this isn't the first time I've had to apply the quadratic formula during homework or an exam and never know whether or not I'm supposed to use -b - √b2-4ac or -b + √b2-4ac
You are doing excellent work and do not seem to need any help at all.

The fact that the quadratic formula produces two answers used to bother me as well. What helped was to see that there is usually a different way of looking at the problem so that both answers make sense. For instance, in a projectile problem where there are two solutions for when the projectile lands, one of those times will generally be prior to launch. So if you view the projectile as having a trajectory that extends infinitely into both future and past, both solutions are viable.

Ah I see now. For this instance I wanted a distance, and since distances are generally positive unless its displacement I added the square root. I got the correct answer!
Thank you very much for your help.
I have an exam in a few hours and you've helped put me at ease.

1. How does friction affect energy?

Friction is a force that resists motion between two surfaces in contact. When an object moves against a surface, the frictional force converts kinetic energy into heat energy, resulting in a loss of energy. This can affect the overall energy of a system.

2. Can friction be used to generate energy?

Yes, friction can be harnessed to generate energy through processes like frictional heating or the use of frictional materials in generators. However, the amount of energy produced is often minimal compared to the energy lost due to friction.

3. How does the type of surface impact friction and energy?

Friction depends on the type of surface and the amount of force applied. Rougher surfaces tend to have higher levels of friction, resulting in more energy loss. Smooth surfaces, on the other hand, have lower levels of friction and can help conserve energy.

4. How can friction be reduced to conserve energy?

There are several ways to reduce friction and conserve energy, such as lubricating surfaces, using smoother materials, and minimizing the force applied. Additionally, designing efficient systems with minimal contact between surfaces can also help reduce friction.

5. What are some real-world examples of using friction to solve energy problems?

Friction is used in various ways to solve energy problems in everyday life. Some examples include using brake pads in cars to slow down and stop, using friction to ignite matches and start fires, and using friction from rubbing hands together to create warmth. Friction is also utilized in industrial processes, such as grinding and polishing, to convert energy into heat.