Troubleshooting Nitrogen Gas Storage: Pressure Estimation Methods

In summary, the speaker is having trouble finding the pressure for a 500-L tank storing 100kg of nitrogen gas at 150 degrees K. They have tried three different methods (Nitrogen Tables, Ideal Gas assumption, and Generalized compressibility chart) but none of them have provided reasonable answers. They mention that they did not have this problem when using R-134a for a similar question.
kaeser1
Hey guys, I have been having a really hard time trying to figure out this question. It seems like everything I do, I can not get resonable answers. If you can help me, that would be great.

Problem: A 500-L tank stores 100kg of nitrogen gas at 150 degrees K. To design the tank, the pressure must be estimated and three different methods are suggested:
a) Nitrogen Tables
b) Ideal Gas assumption
c) Generalized compressibility chart

Physics news on Phys.org
So what's your question?

I can't get the pressure by using any of the Nitrogen tables for an ideal gas. They seem not to have enough information on them to find pressure. When I use the ideal gas equation, the pressure comes out to be really really high, and when I find Tr and Vr for the compressability chart, nothing matches up. I did not have this problem when I used R-134a for a similar question. Everything went smooth for that gas, but it seems like you can't solve this question for nitrogen.

1. What is engineering thermodynamics?

Engineering thermodynamics is the study of energy and its transformations within a system. It involves the application of fundamental principles of physics to analyze and design systems that involve heat and work.

2. What are the laws of thermodynamics?

The laws of thermodynamics are fundamental principles that govern energy and its transformations within a system. They include the first law, which states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted, and the second law, which states that the total entropy of a closed system will always increase over time.

3. How is thermodynamics used in engineering?

Thermodynamics is used in engineering to design and analyze systems that involve heat and work, such as engines, refrigeration systems, and power plants. It also helps engineers understand and predict the behavior of materials and fluids under different temperatures and pressures.

4. What are some real-world applications of engineering thermodynamics?

Engineering thermodynamics has many real-world applications, including the design and operation of power plants, engines, refrigeration and air conditioning systems, and chemical processes. It is also used in the development of renewable energy technologies and the study of climate change.

5. How does thermodynamics relate to other fields of science?

Thermodynamics is closely related to other fields of science, such as chemistry, physics, and materials science. It provides a foundation for understanding and predicting the behavior of matter and energy in these fields, and it is often used in conjunction with other scientific principles to solve complex problems.