1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Engineering Thermo. Question

1. Oct 8, 2006 #1
    Hey guys, I have been having a really hard time trying to figure out this question. It seems like everything I do, I can not get resonable answers. If you can help me, that would be great.

Problem: A 500-L tank stores 100kg of nitrogen gas at 150 degrees K. To design the tank, the pressure must be estimated and three different methods are suggested:
    a) Nitrogen Tables
    b) Ideal Gas assumption
    c) Generalized compressibility chart
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 8, 2006 #2

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

So what's your question?
  4. Oct 8, 2006 #3
    I can't get the pressure by using any of the Nitrogen tables for an ideal gas. They seem not to have enough information on them to find pressure. When I use the ideal gas equation, the pressure comes out to be really really high, and when I find Tr and Vr for the compressability chart, nothing matches up. I did not have this problem when I used R-134a for a similar question. Everything went smooth for that gas, but it seems like you can't solve this question for nitrogen.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?