Enthelpy with regards to heat exchangers and air

• Thread starter gman89
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Air Heat
In summary, the conversation discusses the process of finding the final enthalpy of air after entering a heat exchanger with only initial pressure and temperature known. It is mentioned that knowing the exit conditions or the fluid on the other side of the heat exchanger is necessary. The issue of finding the enthalpy in a larger system that includes a compressor and turbine is also brought up. It is concluded that with only the starting conditions and no other information, it is impossible to find the enthalpy of the air coming out of the heat exchanger.
gman89
I'm just wondering how one would actually solve for the final enthalpy of air after entering a heat exchanger when the only known values are initial pressure and temperature before heating. I'm assuming that if air is modeled as an ideal gas you can just do (Cp)T, but how would you be able to find T in the first place? If the assumption of pressure changes being negligible, using the ideal has equations just leads to the final and initial temperatures being equal, unless I'm not doing it correctly.

Regards.

Science news on Phys.org
Well you certainly need more than just the starting conditions. You have to know something about the exit conditions or about the heat exchanger.

In a 1st semester thermo class, you'd typically either be given one critical piece of information about the exit conditions or information about the fluid on the other side of the heat exchanger.

Well the thing is, the problem I have is that the heat exchanger is part of a bigger system that includes a compressor and a turbine, in which I need to find the turbine power output. My initial plan was to take the compressor and turbine into one system, which means I then have two flow rates in (one from surroundings and one from the heat exchanger) and two flow rates out (one to the exchanger and one back to the surroundings).

So basically you're saying that knowing the final and initial pressures which are equal at the heat exchanger, and the temperature going in it is impossible to find the enthalpy coming out?

1. What is enthalpy and how does it relate to heat exchangers and air?

Enthalpy is a measure of the total energy of a system, including both the internal energy and the work required to change the system's volume. In the context of heat exchangers and air, enthalpy is important because it helps us understand how much heat is transferred between the two fluids during the heat exchange process.

2. How is enthalpy calculated in heat exchangers?

The calculation of enthalpy in heat exchangers depends on the specific type of heat exchanger being used. In general, enthalpy is calculated by taking the difference between the enthalpy of the incoming fluid and the enthalpy of the outgoing fluid.

3. How does enthalpy affect the efficiency of a heat exchanger?

The enthalpy difference between the incoming and outgoing fluids in a heat exchanger directly affects the efficiency of the heat exchange process. Higher enthalpy differences result in more efficient heat transfer, while lower enthalpy differences may indicate a less effective heat exchanger.

4. How does air flow rate impact enthalpy in heat exchangers?

The air flow rate through a heat exchanger can impact the enthalpy of the system. Higher air flow rates can result in higher enthalpy differences, leading to more efficient heat transfer. However, if the air flow rate is too high, it can cause pressure drops and decrease the overall efficiency of the heat exchanger.

5. How can enthalpy be optimized in heat exchangers?

To optimize enthalpy in heat exchangers, it is important to consider the design and operation of the heat exchanger. This includes factors such as fluid flow rates, heat transfer surface area, and the type of heat exchanger being used. Additionally, regularly maintaining and cleaning the heat exchanger can help ensure it is operating at its most efficient level.