Enthelpy of Formation From DFT

In summary, DFT calculations for enthalpy of formation can be accurate, but the results can vary depending on the system and chosen parameters. Careful consideration and verification of convergence are essential for achieving good agreement with experimental values.
handsomecat
Has anyone had experience with calculating the enthalpy of formation from DFT?

I have had a few calculations with the planewave-pseudopotential method. What puzzles me is that in one case the agreement with experimental values is excellent, while another case was about 30% more stable.

Surveying the literature, it seems like a hit-and-miss affair. Some calculations show good agreement to 5%-10%, but there are the occasional reports of more than 30% off.

Just to note that the experiments are done at 700K (for the calorimeter), and the DFT calculations done at 0 K. Made sure the DFT energies are converged to 1 meV.

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello,

As a fellow scientist who has also worked with DFT calculations for enthalpy of formation, I can share my experiences with you. I have found that the accuracy of DFT calculations for enthalpy of formation can be highly dependent on the specific system being studied and the chosen method and parameters for the calculation.

In my own research, I have seen cases where the DFT results were in excellent agreement with experimental values, while in other cases there was a significant discrepancy. In my experience, this can be due to several factors such as the level of theory used, the exchange-correlation functional, and the basis set employed. It is important to carefully choose these parameters and also to verify the convergence of the results to ensure the accuracy of the calculations.

I have also noticed that the comparison of DFT results to experimental values can be affected by the temperature difference between the two. As you mentioned, the DFT calculations are typically done at 0 K while experiments are often done at higher temperatures. This temperature difference can lead to some discrepancies, especially for systems with complex energy landscapes.

Overall, I have found that DFT calculations for enthalpy of formation can be reliable and accurate, but it is important to carefully consider the parameters and ensure convergence in order to achieve good agreement with experimental values. I hope this helps and I would be happy to discuss further if you have any specific questions about your calculations.

Calculating the enthalpy of formation from DFT can be a challenging task, as it requires accurate and precise calculations of the energy of the system. The discrepancies that you have observed in your calculations are not uncommon and can be attributed to several factors.

Firstly, the accuracy of the pseudopotential used in the calculation can greatly affect the results. Using a lower quality pseudopotential can lead to larger errors in the calculated energy. It is important to carefully select and validate the pseudopotential before performing the calculation.

Secondly, the choice of exchange-correlation functional can also impact the accuracy of the enthalpy of formation calculation. Different functionals have different strengths and weaknesses and may perform differently for different systems. It is important to carefully choose the appropriate functional for your system.

Additionally, the convergence criteria used in the calculation can also affect the accuracy of the results. As you have mentioned, ensuring that the energy is converged to 1 meV is crucial, but it is also important to check for convergence in other parameters such as k-point sampling and plane wave cutoff.

Finally, as you have noted, the experimental conditions and the DFT calculations are done at different temperatures. This can also contribute to the discrepancies in the results. It may be helpful to perform calculations at different temperatures to see if there is a better agreement between the experimental and calculated values.

In conclusion, calculating the enthalpy of formation from DFT can be a complex and challenging task, and it is not uncommon to see discrepancies between the calculated and experimental values. It is important to carefully validate and optimize all parameters in the calculation to obtain more accurate results.

Related to Enthelpy of Formation From DFT

1. What is enthalpy of formation from DFT?

The enthalpy of formation from DFT (density functional theory) is a measure of the energy released or absorbed when a compound is formed from its constituent elements, calculated using DFT calculations. It is a thermodynamic property that can provide insight into the stability and reactivity of a compound.

2. How is the enthalpy of formation from DFT calculated?

The enthalpy of formation from DFT is calculated by simulating the electronic structure of a compound using DFT calculations and then subtracting the energies of the constituent elements in their most stable forms. This calculation takes into account the electronic energy, vibrational energy, and intermolecular forces of the compound.

3. What factors can affect the enthalpy of formation from DFT?

There are several factors that can affect the enthalpy of formation from DFT, including the type and number of atoms in the compound, the bond lengths and angles, and the overall geometry of the molecule. Additionally, temperature and pressure can also have an impact on the enthalpy of formation.

4. What is the significance of enthalpy of formation from DFT?

The enthalpy of formation from DFT is important for understanding the stability and reactivity of compounds, as well as for predicting their thermodynamic properties. It can also provide valuable information for the design and development of new materials and chemical reactions.

5. Can the enthalpy of formation from DFT be experimentally measured?

Yes, the enthalpy of formation from DFT can be experimentally measured through techniques such as calorimetry or bomb calorimetry. However, these experimental methods can be challenging and time-consuming, so DFT calculations are often used as a faster and more efficient alternative.